Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
bobz41

Cougar Remote

Has anyone added more lights to their remote? I would like to add some interior lights to the remote. I hate stumbling up the steps to turn on a light.
bobz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
Pmedic4

Adding lights to remote control

Interesting thought - haven't done this but considered it since there may be an open spot or 2 on the control unit, as I think are 8 positions, and on my Cougar HC, I think there are 6 slots used (Landing Gear, Rear jacks, Main slide, Front slide, Awning, Front-scare light), which would leave 2 open spots.

However, there are several questions about the operation: Does the control unit only pick a solenoid on the defined device, or does the control unit supply the full voltage and continue to power the device, and how much power(12V @ what amperage) does it provide? So while I had the thought, I would need to research it further to see what the command module really provides.

I've thought about putting an LED strip under the Awning, and the good news about this is, it would be 12V - low amps.

By the way, do you know the quirk about the Front light controlled by the remote? If you turn on the front light with the remote, you have to turn it off with the remote, as it overrides the inside switch.

UPDATE
Just looking online at the Lippert Linc component wiring diagrams, and found that 7 of the positions are made to control motors - or more precisely, a momentary contact type of switch, so that when you hold the up/down button on the remote, it provides power to the motor, and of course up or down is the direction of rotation for the motor. So effectively, power would only be on as long as you held the button on the remote... Doesn't sound like a good idea for a light! The remaining switch, does control the front light - at least on my RV, so when you push the button it picks a solenoid and stays on until you use the remote and turn it off - per the quirk above. Theoretically, you could set one of the empty ones with a mag-latch relay, to hold on light on with say the up button, and then the turn off the relay when with the down button, but slightly more difficult to implement for the light circuit from this control system.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
bobz41

Cougar Remote

I have the same panel on a 2014 327res. On lipperts web site I saw a canbus module that might add the nessary relays for lighting. I will have to contact them. PS you are correct on there only being 1 light point on the panel.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Pmedic4

Other thoughts for remote

I started looking for the light type relay control, and found you can buy a 4 light control remote(comes with 2 remotes) and control panel for about $10 -$20 on Amazon depending on brand. So, if you don't mind having another remote you could then control 4 light separate light fixtures by buying one of these units.

Now, if the power to all these lights is through the converter, it would be real easy to controls some of the overhead lights without struggling to run wires everywhere, which to me is the biggest issue with the factory lippert model.

Otherwise, there were some of the other types of light relays,but they were more expensive.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
bobz41

Cougar Remote

Thanks for the replays and resource. For less than 20.00 I can adapt this fairly easy.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
C1v1leng

Cougar Remote

I spent yesterday looking how to connect my awning and pendant lights to the remote so we can see upon arrival to the unit.
I reached the same conclusion as Pmedic4.
I may switch the front light to the awning light as it would be more functional

I look forward to hearing about other options from other owners.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:15 AM   #7
Rockymtns

Cougar 2015 333MKS REMOTE CODE?

I just purchased this 2 year old unit, the remote is asking for code and I do not have it..... Does anyone know how I can fix this situation ?
Rockymtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtns View Post
I just purchased this 2 year old unit, the remote is asking for code and I do not have it..... Does anyone know how I can fix this situation ?
the default code is 0000 however if the previous owner has programed it with a number then that won't work... I do seem to remember a workaround.... I'll check my book..

Here ya' go...

Reset PIN Code
  1. Press "Home" button to turn on the remote (Fig. 1).
  2. Press and release "Home" button five times.
  3. Press "CONFIG" (Fig. 1A).
  4. The remote will ask to reset the screen lock PIN code (Fig. 2).
  5. Press "Yes" (Fig. 2A)
  6. The remote will display a message that the PIN has been reset (Fig. 3).
  7. Press "Home" button and press "Set PIN" (Fig. 4A).
  8. Enter a 4-digit PIN code (Fig. 5).
  9. Press "Save" (Fig. 6A).