Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
cblong

Bike rack

I have a 330 rbi Just bought it 3 months ago. the slide out bike rack is bent from two bikes being on there. they are both aluminum framed bikes super light. Oh and the spare tire is on there too which I think bouncing up and down while extended caused the bend. now I can't get my rack in or out its stuck. is there anyone else out there that has had problems with the rack or is it just me?
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Those racks are worthless. You're better off unbolting it and throwing it in the junk. Do a search on here about bike racks and similar. Your best bet is to install a receiver hitch and get a good rack. You can also use the receiver to install a nice carrier that is strong enough to haul other gear such as a generator.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

While I haven't had any problems with the sliding rack on our unit, after a couple of trips using it, I haven't used it since. I never have liked adding any additional weight to that set up - especially with the spare tire attached. Whenever I plan to use the rack in the future, the tire will come off and put in the bed of the truck.

Can't help you with the bent rack but when you get it fixed, I'd suggest a bike rack that is attached to a proper receiver which in turn is welded to the frame. Forget about using the slide-out as a bike rack - as mentioned above - it is pretty much worthless and hopeless.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
cblong

I was thinking that it was junk I just wanted to make sure Im not the only one that has had problems.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
gearhead

Some folks are installing "under frame" spare carriers. Our 5th came with one. When we bought the trailer I looked at it and thought "that's not going to last long, it doesn't have enough clearance to even make it in our driveway". Sure enough I had to use boards to back the 5th up the drive. First thing I did was remove the spare, wash it, and put it in the storage bay. I am thinking about a spare mount kit for the bumper though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Brantlaker

What I did with mine is removed the spare tire and installed a BAL underbody rack for it. I then bolted my sliding bike rack out and reinforced it. got a Swagman 64663 for mounting on 4 inch bumpers. I have used this setup for the last year and traveled over 8,000 miles cross country and back. My bikes and rack weight 86 lbs.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
CHIEF MK

I also have the Swagman atthef to a Curt 2" receiver hitch that bolts to the 4" bumper. Has anybody had any bumper welds fail with the weight of the bikes back there? So far so good for me. The only problem so far is those pesky plastic bumper end caps coming loose due to the bumber flexing.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
sundowner

Easy fix for bumper end caps. Drill hole about 3/16 through metal bumper and rubber end cap top and bottom. Slide one of those cheap tent pegs or long nail through holes drilled top and bottom. Never lost another end cap after doing that
sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
Easy fix for bumper end caps. Drill hole about 3/16 through metal bumper and rubber end cap top and bottom. Slide one of those cheap tent pegs or long nail through holes drilled top and bottom. Never lost another end cap after doing that
That works, or a small screw that just bites into the rubber like a set screw...not through it

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Watt

Coming home from Amarillo and a young man in a pickup passes us pointing to the rear of the trailer and making a hand motion that something is bouncing up and down. We pulled over and found that the spare tire assembly had fallen from vertical to a horizontal position and was bouncing against the highway. The u-bolt brackets had not come loose; the bumper tubing material had failed near the weld points where the bumper is attached to the slide assembly.

Removed the spare tire and bracket, wired the bumper to the slide out assembly and made it home. $950.00 estimate to repair.

We will never attach anything to our bumper; spare tire, bikes, or anything regardless of weight.
Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
CHIEF MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
Coming home from Amarillo and a young man in a pickup passes us pointing to the rear of the trailer and making a hand motion that something is bouncing up and down. We pulled over and found that the spare tire assembly had fallen from vertical to a horizontal position and was bouncing against the highway. The u-bolt brackets had not come loose; the bumper tubing material had failed near the weld points where the bumper is attached to the slide assembly.

Removed the spare tire and bracket, wired the bumper to the slide out assembly and made it home. $950.00 estimate to repair.

We will never attach anything to our bumper; spare tire, bikes, or anything regardless of weight.

Ouch! I kinda figured something like that could, and probably would. Glad you made it through that.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
CHIEF MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post

I knew I should have packed my drill motor and index, but as I was going full-time I had to thin the heard to keep the weight down. Now I'm buying a big 5th wheel,and would have had plenty of room for it. oh well.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #13
cblong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post

That sucks I'm glad you made it home ok. I called Keystone about my bumper and they are still trying to see if they will fix it if not under warranty.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
RAINEY

Bike Rack

Here's a pic of what I ended up doing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2(1).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	6983  
RAINEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
LZScout

I did the same as Rainey did, a roof rack for the truck that carries 4 bikes, works great. It and at the front of the pickup bed to load/unload the bikes.

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #16
mguay

I made our first trip south with the bikes on the slideout tray. When we got to FL, the bikes had beaten each other up pretty bad. I had padded everywhere with pool noodles but they didn't last. I even had a mark on the rear wall right below the rear window.

Then I watched a video on YouTube of bikes bouncing on the rear of a 5er going down the road! With all that weight back there (tire too) it would get in a rhythm and have some power behind it.

We came home with the bikes inside until I could figure something out.

Then I came up with this idea...[/URL][/IMG]

It is a couple of upright roof racks across the bed on top of my TransferFlow tank.