Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #21
Bob Landry

There are all kinds of tricks and fixes to make the cord easier to slide in and out of the mouse hole, but they are interim at best and whatever you choose to do will have to be repeated, and the cord is only going to knot up when it's pouring rain or freezing cold, granted not much of a problem in Central Texas, but making it detachable is a one time fix and then you can move on to something besides wrestling with your power cord. I grew tired of it pretty quickly on my first trailer, and this one got the retrofit as soon as I picked it up.. No regrets about doing it. I'm adding a second 30A service, so mine has to be detachable anyway, even with a single cord, it's a great upgrade.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

I feel much the same as Bob. Plus the "hatch hole" puts the electrical cord inside where it's not visible. During rain, or muddy conditions, you're either cleaning the cord as you push it back into the hatch or you're pushing a muddy, wet cord into a small dark area. Most of the "end table" type places to push the cord into are just a cabinet screwed in place over the carpet. That means the muddy, wet cable sits on a piece of cheap RV carpet in a dark, usually warm confined space. That's a great place to grow mold.

Like Bob, when I bought the Springdale, I installed the Marinco detachable kit the first month we had the trailer. When we bought the Cougar last July, a part of the purchase agreement was for the dealer to replace the "hatch hole" with a Marinco kit.

Up here as well as in Louisiana, we have a lot of wasps and hornets, both of which love to build nests in dark warm places. I've pulled enough cables out of hatches to be stung more than I like. Not having that risk makes the ordeal even nicer.

Maybe it's not for everyone, but if you're tired of fighting a cold, stiff cord that gets tangled inside a tiny little space, the detachable cord option is a nice way to solve the problem once and for all.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #23
Bob Landry

One disadvantage is that , as John said, the cord takes up most of the space. By eliminating push/pull cord, there was a space that was more than large enough to install a hard-wired EMS without having to create another usable space or run any extra wire. As far as the extra cord laying out and getting dirty, so what? It's an exterior power cord. I wear gloves anyway and it goes into it's own storage space, so a little dirt is no big deal unless you happen to be OCD.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #24
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I prefer the detachable cord.

For someone like me, the cord is never stored - ever. So a dirty cord is irrelevant.

It is either in use (at home, or at campsite). Or in the back of the truck when I am moving. If I am sitting still, the RV is plugged in.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

As the others have already said, the Marinco detachable cord kit is the way to go. You're repairing the hole, so why not go the extra step and end up with a better system?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #26
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I should just turn my credit card over to this forum because you all are always spending my money! I just ordered this kit. I'll never get my money out of this trailer for sure
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #27
Festus2
Site Team

Paul -

To make it easier for you to send your credit card to this overworked and underpaid moderator, I'll be sending you my address in a PM.

You will "get your money's worth" out of the detachable cord --- one of my better mods!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #28
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
I should just turn my credit card over to this forum because you all are always spending my money! I just ordered this kit. I'll never get my money out of this trailer for sure
Hum...,.m. credit card dangerous Have not started any mode want to do a walk (crawl) thru first to see what I can get into.

Poppy ever resolve your 120VAC (INVERTER) duplex plug? Could not find post on that mod
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #29
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Hum...,.m. credit card dangerous Have not started any mode want to do a walk (crawl) thru first to see what I can get into.

Poppy ever resolve your 120VAC (INVERTER) duplex plug? Could not find post on that mod
I have not yet changed that outlet out to the RV / Mobile Home style outlet because I was hoping I could find one locally. I have not so I am going to order a few of them online. I will replace the outlet I already installed behind the TV and I intend to add one in the pass through and another by the TV in the bedroom (although I haven't found where or how the wire is run up there in the cap). That thread was in the modifications section but I haven't posted anything new.

We head out in the morning for 4 days at the beach for our first boondock camping since the 6 volt / invertor upgrade so I'm anxious to see how my new 6 volt system does.
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Poppy

Be Safe and Enjoy your trip

Plan to dewinterize this weeks, think it is safe now
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #31
theasphaltrv'er

Update..I finished the 30 amp outlet install and to my amazement it even works ...lol
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
Bob Landry

I just finished my dual 30A mod. It also works, best mod I've done yet. It goes to a separate 30A panel.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #33
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theasphaltrv'er View Post
Update..I finished the 30 amp outlet install and to my amazement it even works ...lol
Looks nice.

Where were you able to buy the black outlet? It seams like white is more readily available.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #34
theasphaltrv'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Looks nice.

Where were you able to buy the black outlet? It seams like white is more readily available.

..Yes I was able to purchase it in black. A company in Mesa, Arizona handles them and I took a plastic cutting board and cut it down for the base plate.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote