Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
limit4

Cougar Remote control

When I took delivery on my Cougar Xlite 26sab the remote was missing. The dealer sent me one with instructions for programming from lippert. I went by instructions and got the main slide to work perfect but when I tried to go to the next steps all I can get on the remote readout are Door Lock And Contrast. No awning front jacks or flood light. I know this is complicated but if anyone could save me the 100 mile trip to the dealer I would be very grateful. I called Lippert and they were nice but could not help.
limit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is no "door lock" option on our remote. Our 27RKS has the same features on the remote as the 26SAB, so I'm at a loss as to what you've done (or what they sent you). Our remote has a power button, a select button and up/down buttons.

The options we have are main slide, BR slide, landing gear, contrast.

The docking lights are a separate button along the top as is the flashlight in the end of the remote.

I'm wondering is maybe they sent you a remote from a different model or a different series trailer (like Bullet or Laredo, etc.....)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Pmedic4

Programming the Remote

THere are specific steps for programming the remote, which let you add the items for your model. I think there is an online version of the instructions - this is the one for mine, and assume this is your too:

http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...heets/0146.pdf

This is the current version, I updated this post for the current version on the Lippert site.

If not yours, there are other ones out there on that site.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
limit4

Remote

How about clearing what I have done and starting over, Does anyone know how I would do that?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
MarkS

The instructions that pmedic4 links to, says all functions are cleared when you enter program mode. Look at page 2, the note after step 5.

You will probably have to program the remote several times to get the function names to match what the remote actually does.

Good luck.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
webslave

I bought a second remote for my Cougar 318SAB off of eBay; I wanted one to keep in the truck so that I had it available during setup without having to get the one out of the trailer and later remember to put it back...I just keep the one from the truck with me. I had much the same problem and finally got by that issue (mine did the same thing; one function or two and then door lock and contrast...).

Turned out that I wasn't getting the two buttons on the remote pressed properly (up and down) while simultaneously pressing the "select" button...it is extremely difficult to get them pressed (not enough room for my three fingers and I have small hands and the buttons don't have a solid click to let you know you're actually pressing them). Kept at it though and once I got all three pressed properly, I gained access to all the other functions. Nothing wrong with the remote, and you don't need to "clear" anything; the new "programming" will over-ride the old, but, you have to get those three buttons pressed simultaneously or you won't get the right programming options. Been there, done that. If you're fingers are too big, maybe DW or, if you have them, children, with smaller fingers can get them pressed simultaneously...I understand why they made complicated, but, wished they had chosen a "press these buttons within 5 seconds" as opposed to "simultaneous".

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
limit4

Remote

Well thanks for all your help. I got the remote programmed. I was not getting both the arrows and the select buttons all pushed at the same time.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Pmedic4

Glad you got the remote working

Just trying to remember how it went, and I see someone else said the "clear previous programming".
I just remember it was a trial and error experience - you don't know which device is wired to which number, so had to find out what moved on #1, and then go through the list and program that into the name, and so on. Took awhile, but got it working.

BTW, if someone is interested, I have an old remote I broke. Stupidly left in on the back bumper of the truck and drove off - found it but with a cracked screen. I think the electronics still work, but you can't read the screen to see what is selected. I would be willing to send it someone for the parts or whatever. Might work for someone who's buttons don't work as you can take out the old circuit board/LCD from yours and put in this case. I was thinking about fixing it, but the LCD is soldered in with like 30 leads, and to buy the OEM LCD screen (if you could even find one), would probably be as much as the replacement remote I bought off of Ebay. Send me a private note and I'll mail it to you - cost you a beer when/if we camp together.

2017 Cougar 333MKS

Old 02-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
Kim

Remote reset

I also have a Cougar 318SAB and ordered a new remote from eBay.

It came in programming mode but when I was trying to figure it out I turned it off and as you guessed, nothing matches my setup.

I cannot get the silly thing to go back into programming mode. My husband is mad because if I am not pressing the buttons right the bed slide activates when I am trying to press the select button.

All I can get is when I press the buttons as described, it just freezes in the display. I press the select button 4 times right? Nothing changes and I am about to get mad. Would be nice to just pull the battery and reinstall.

Those of you who have gone thru this please tell me if you are pressing the up/down/sel buttons right after the boot/power up or once the thing is waiting for a command or selection?

Did you use something to make sure the buttons were pressed down?
Thanks in advance.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
Pmedic4

Programming the remote - KIM

Kim, couple of questions first -
You said you got a new remote - did you synch it with the controller?
Basically, has it worked at anytime? From your post, it sounds like it works, as you mention the bed slide activates.

If you've done that, my first suggestion would be to replace the battery in your remote. There can be screwy issues if the battery is weak.

I don't remember anything specifically hard about getting it into the programming mode, but assume your pressing the UP and DOWN button at the same time, and then pressing the select button 4 times.

In your case, pressing both the UP and DOWN button causes the display to freeze up, and the Select button doesn't do anything?

You can change the battery without losing the programming, but it sounds like what you have is wrong anyway, so may not be a big loss? I know I had to reprogram mine, as the first time I didn't get the right function matched to the remote, so getting it into programming mode wasn't too big an issue. Let me know if you have further issues - unfortunately, my unit is in storage for another month( but we're ready for April 1!). We went yesterday, just to check, and the lot was snowed in, and we just got another 10 inches of snow, so might be a week or two before we can get back!

BTW, the current Lippert website for the instructions is: http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...heets/0146.pdf

2017 Cougar 333MKS