Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #1
BlueThunder34

Pierce County, WA to Fort Stevens, OR

Hi All,

Taking a trip this weekend to Ft. Stevens State Park in OR. We will be pulling our 26' trailer from Pierce County, WA and I'm wondering which route would be easier for towing? Option A is going down 101 or option B is heading down I5 and cutting over Hwy 30. TV is a 2014 RAM 1500, we will be departing at noon on a Friday so traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time.

Thanks for the input!
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
takpak

Question Fort Stevens

Hi BlueThunder34. Having been to Ft. Stevens many times, I would say that either way would be fine. I've come down the 101 route, no problems. Been the Hwy 30 route a LOT of times, and I'd say that they are about the same. Two lane, good roads, no problem. Only thing I know about is that the Astoria bridge is undergoing some repairs, so there might be some delays. This was a month ago, don't know if it's still going on.

Enjoy Ft. Stevens. There is SO much to see. Definitely go to the museum. We go there every August as part of a military "cruise in and campout/display" and it's a lot of fun.

Terry K.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
BlueThunder34

Great, thanks for the feedback. Does either route have more/less steep grades, or are the both about the same in terms of grade and twists and turns?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I go to long beach every month from portland and have traveled 101 to Shelton from long beach or other locations along 101 in WA. For years. Either way will work 101 will take a lot more time but, has much to see, elk, bays ocean etc. lots of slow curves. Time is everything! SR 101 will add about 1 hour of travel travel time compared to I5. I would go south I5 to Longview to SR 30 to Astoria and than go home north on 101 to see the sites. Last trip or 2 across the Astoria bridge there was no longer any work and the job site equipment had been removed. But, really both the Astoria and Longview bridges have been getting construction on them almost every year. Do you know all the sites to see, if not let me know. SR 30 has 2 steep grades and several more smaller ones, they are not really any big deal. Another option is stay on the WA side from Longview to Astoria SR 14? no steep grades there and has more views of the river. Staying on the WA side from Longview will again add more travel time than SR 30, about 20 mins.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
BlueThunder34

Thanks for the info. Looks like we will take I5 as its faster, this will be our first outing with our new Springdale and we only have Fri-Sun for this trip. Looks like a fun place, we plan on exploring the base, the beach and the shipwreck on the beach. Kids should get a kick out of that stuff and learn a little history at the same time
Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

On the bike path/hiking trails in the mornings or late afternoon you may see elk. I like the old military stuff and just across the the river before Chinook is fort Canby, they have big shore guns you can check out, 1 hour or so to see about everything. Up at cape D is also a few old shore guns. The sea museum is great if you have 1-2 hours to check it out. It's mostly about comm ships/fisherman and coast guard stuff. I will be down there next week, spring cleaning the beach house in Ocean Park. Have fun
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
Murphsmom

The Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria is another spot that is well worth your time.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
takpak

Ft. Stevens trip........

Indeed, as everyone has said, there is SO much to see and do. Miles and miles of biking/hiking trails. Many locations (spread out all over the place) of old military buildings to see. The museum does give guided tours of the place, in the back of an old "deuce and a half" truck. Downtown Astoria also has many, many places to see. The "Astor (Astoria) Column" for one. Climb it to the top, but NOT if you are scared of heights. Also, I must make a BIG recommendation for lunch/dinner......at Fort George Brewery, in downtown Astoria. They have Albacore Tuna fish and chips. The best I've ever eaten. Both small and large portions are available. We NEVER miss an opportunity to eat there. There is also the Dutch Maid bakery right downtown, on the northbound main drag.

Also, drive all the way out to the end of the jetty in Ft. Stevens. They have an elevated viewing platform out there. If the weather is nice, definitely worth the trip.

Have fun.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
BlueThunder34

So much to do and see, I should have planned a longer weekend! Good excuse to plan a follow up trip