Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #61
Ram189

The one thing I would recommend is an engine block heater. Most of them come from the factory with the option now.

I keep mine plugged in during the winter and have never had a problem with getting heat within 5 minutes of running it. Starting is not much of a problem anymore on the newer trucks with the new glow plug systems.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #62
Desert185

Did Dodge go to glowplugs at some point, or do they still have an intake heater? Mine doesn't have glowplugs.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #63
LittleJoe

The 5.9 and now 6.7 still have intake heaters. They work well and almost never give a problem (read lowest cost to owner over the long haul)over other systems IMO.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #64
Wally15

I've been following this thread for a month now. Some very interesting and informative feedback. Five years ago I was going through a very similar vehicle situation and decision-making process as the OP; frequent short "daily commutes" and several long (up to 3K miles) trips per year requiring more truck than my '04 Silverado 5.3 gasser could comfortably handle. At the time, it wasn't an RV towing issue, it was an 8K lb boat and trailer that was straining the gasser. I had never owned a diesel, and in '09 most of the new diesels were still having problems with the pollution control mandates. Plus new diesels were very expensive, and retirement was just around the corner for me. Didn't want a lot of new debt.
I had no particular brand loyalty, my Silverado I purchased new because it was the most comfortable to drive, and I liked the ride and interior amenities. Biggest thing I towed back then was a bass boat. I test drove all the Big 3 diesels and liked them all, except for the price tags and trade-in. Each had pros and cons over the other two, I'm in basic agreement with all the previous comments. One thing I didn't like was the lack of "maintenance history" on the upsized engine displacements. I would have probably bought the Ford if I went the new vehicle route.
I ran a couple of spreadsheets on a new "double duty" truck vs buying a used pre-07 (EPA) diesel and also a 2nd car for daily commutes. Out to 6 years of ownership, it made more economic sense for me to buy 2 used vehicles than one new truck. I ended up purchasing an '06 2500 Ram Laramie Cummins and an '02 Toyota Avalon, both with less than 100K and both with excellent service histories. And sold my Silverado privately for almost as much as my trade in allowance would have been. I decided on the Dodge because of the Cummins. IMO Dodge is the least "comfortable" of the Big 3 interiors, but the reliability and low end power of the Cummins is a nice offset. I have put slightly over 60K on each vehicle over 5 years and (other than scheduled maintenance) have only replaced an O2 sensor on the Avalon, and replaced the xmn solenoids on the Dodge 48RE tranny. And I purchased both vehicles for almost $20K less than I would have spent on one new diesel.
Per my spreadsheet, I'm saving $1,300 per year owning 2 used vehicles as opposed to one NEW double duty diesel. New vehicle depreciation is the sole reason for the savings.
Since the OP will probably upgrade to a Class A as some point in the future, I think looking at 2 used vehicles has merit and should be factored into his decision. And as the price difference between diesel and gas continues to spread, my savings actually increase.

And last year when we decided to become RV'ers, we based our purchase on what the Ram could comfortably pull, so we ended up with a 9K max weight Laredo 308 RE TT, and use the covered and lockable truck bed for much needed additional storage. Plenty of room for two "empty nesters".
I have decided to keep the '06 Dodge diesel for the foreseeable future. By spreading out my annual mileage across 2 vehicles, it might last me another 10 years or so. Or until I'm too old to haul the TT or boat safely. In any case, I probably won't ever buy a new vehicle again. Unless I win the lottery.
Notice I didn't comment on the cold weather operation. Not generally an issue for me down here in S. GA. However, last week it was in the low 20's, which is unheard of before January, much less Thanksgiving. No wonder they renamed Global Warming to Climate Change.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #65
Javi

If you really take a look at what you need in a truck vs what you want it, is surprising what you can get..

I bought my '12 off the lot for $36K out the door... brand spanking new..

I've pretty much always had 4X4 but when I looked at how much I really needed it vs how much I used it. I found that in the past ten years I actually needed it (as in stuck if I didn't have it) once in ten years and that one time I could easily have used my ATV to get where I needed to be..

So when I bought this time I didn't go 4X4.. I did get E-lock in the rear end and I've been glad of that a couple of times.

I didn't need the truck to talk to me, I didn't need it to answer my phone or to warm my butt and I could care less about leather or chrome.. So I saved right at $30K on my truck and another $600 or so a year on insurance.. I did get power windows, door locks, tilt and power mirrors..
Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #66
hankaye

Howdy All;

I only have the one motor vehicle, tows the snail-shell,
and gets me around for shopping and such. Got it used,
paid it off, then needed to do some preventative maintenance,
it booked out at $2K under what I paid for it 4 years ago...
Yes, it's a 4X4, but without the snail-shell, I do get up into
areas that surround the Gila Wilderness to do some short hikes
and hunt for trouts. Most of the roads around here are gravel
and some are glorified dirt. Extremely happy with mine.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #67
bsmith0404

When I bought my 2500 Duramax I was looking used because of the sticker shock of the new ones. I was looking to stay under 50k miles on a used one. Then I ran into sticker shock on a used one. Although the new truck listed at $51k, through multiple incentives I was able to get it out the door at $41k, low mileage used ones were all in the $35k range. I drove the 2500 for 3 years, put 50k miles on it and traded it in on my 3500 for $40k. BTW, I got the 3500 used (2011 with 50k miles, same as my 2500) for $5k below book value. It took me over a month to make the deal, luckily there isn't a big market for duallies in bigger cities. If I was still in WY or NM the truck would have been gone in a couple days and I would have had to pay a lot more. My point, you can find deals on used ones (sometimes) and you can make deals on new ones as well. The thing about the diesel, none of them are cheap, new or used, they hold their value like a Harley, but if you shop around long enough you can find one that fits your needs and price range.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #68
gtsum2

It's really pretty simple...diesels cost more upfront and will likely have slightly higher maintenance costs...they will also pull much better and get better mpg empty and towing and have higher resale. If u want a diesel, get one.

I chuckle when I see people comparing break even points for the cost of a diesel....after all, rv'ing is a luxury, right? I mean do u really need a 10-12k lbs fifth or trailer? No...you WANT one....and paid more for it over a popup or tents and sleeping bags...you are likely more comfortable and have more amenities in your rig than the smaller units or a tent, right? Same goes for a diesel...more amenities (hp and torque) and much better performance and it costs more. If u want to spend he money do so, if not don't! I use my 2014 ram 3500 srw as my dd and love it. I don't care that is cost 8k more than a gasser....after having both, I highly doubt I will ever buy a gas truck again. ymmv
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #69
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
It's really pretty simple...diesels cost more upfront and will likely have slightly higher maintenance costs...they will also pull much better and get better mpg empty and towing and have higher resale. If u want a diesel, get one.

I chuckle when I see people comparing break even points for the cost of a diesel....after all, rv'ing is a luxury, right? I mean do u really need a 10-12k lbs fifth or trailer? No...you WANT one....and paid more for it over a popup or tents and sleeping bags...you are likely more comfortable and have more amenities in your rig than the smaller units or a tent, right? Same goes for a diesel...more amenities (hp and torque) and much better performance and it costs more. If u want to spend he money do so, if not don't! I use my 2014 ram 3500 srw as my dd and love it. I don't care that is cost 8k more than a gasser....after having both, I highly doubt I will ever buy a gas truck again. ymmv
My thought exactly. I'm just to lazy to write it out. Think of it this way. You could easily and cheaply drive to work in a Taurus. But some, who can afford to, drive a BMW. A gasser can pull a trailer, a diesel will put a permanent smile on your face.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #70
2014Fuzion300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
x2. I've owned gassers before my diesel, I won't go back. I've used grill covers to help it warm up a bit in real cold temps. I've never had a problem with cold temps or short drives. I use my truck for whatever I need it for, I don't give it a second thought.

X2. I would not trade my diesel for any gas engine as far as I have anything to pull, but I don't have those extreme temperatures here in Georgia.
Bouncey !

Sent from my iPad.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #71
65aircooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
The one thing I would recommend is an engine block heater. Most of them come from the factory with the option now.

I keep mine plugged in during the winter and have never had a problem with getting heat within 5 minutes of running it. Starting is not much of a problem anymore on the newer trucks with the new glow plug systems.
Huh No glowplugs in our trucks anymore bud, grid heater is the way we run
I agree with the plug, I run mine on a timer, 2 hrs before "get up" time, helps with in cab heater time. Other than that, fronties and you are good to go.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #72
skmct

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
my thought exactly. I'm just to lazy to write it out. Think of it this way. You could easily and cheaply drive to work in a taurus. But some, who can afford to, drive a bmw. A gasser can pull a trailer, a diesel will put a permanent smile on your face.
from ear to ear!!!
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote