Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2014, 03:27 AM   #1
Movin' on

Question for you snowbirds

Hopefully my DW and I will be leaving for the winter and traveling across the southern US (I-10). We won't have a definite departure date due to the fact that I have to finish harvesting corn and nature has a lot to do with that. With no definite time frame it is almost impossible to make reservations, so here is my question:

What do you think our chances are of being able to find a campground to spend a night or two as we travel?

We will be prepared to boondock when necessary, but kind of like hookups for the convenience. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
byrdr1

I would think you would be able to find a place to camp with hookups most anywhere along the way, the biggest thing is the COST of the campsite.
So boondocking(walmarting) a couple nights along the way will help you with cost of full hookup campgrounds.
cant help you with I-10 that a little south of me. I'm on the I-85/40 corridor in NC.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
jtyphoid

There are some long stretches of not much along I-10, particularly in Texas from San Antonio to Fort Stockton. However, if you look ahead a day or two and are flexible on how far to travel per day, you're likely to find some suitable end of day options.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We seldom (almost never) make reservations for travel. We do make reservations if we are going to stay in a popular location for an extended time. But, we've found that if we try to make reservations for our "travel days" we usually wind up not being able to stop and see the things we want to spend time visiting. So, for us, we use the "Woodall's Camping Guide" and about late morning or lunch time, we find a couple of "interesting campgrounds" and call to make a reservation for that evening.

Even travelling in the "height of summer" we've never had a problem finding a campsite available.

Keep in mind, if you are travelling the northern states in the "dead of winter" you'll find most campground are closed for the season, but along the I-10 corridor, we've tavelled it from Florida to California and never had an issue with finding a quiet place to stop for the evening.

Enjoy your trip, You'll be fine locating campsites during the "off season".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Bluewater

We have been doing the snowbird drive for several years and have never had a problem finding a camp spot this time of year. Go for it and have some fun.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Movin' on

Thanks for all of your replies. My wife and I are about to enter the ranks of "Snowbirds" and are very excited about our upcoming trip. Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
theeyres

As a former snowbirder, then fulltimer, now back to part-timer, you will have no problems. You may hit the occasional spot that is full because of winter acttivities, etc, but there is always another spot down the road.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
ljp

Is staying overnight in the parking lot of a WalMart, Target, etc., encouraged?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
theeyres

Not sure what you mean by encouraged. It works for many people. I've done it and I don't like it so I don't do it. It is a way to save a little money but when I travel I like to stop around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, pull out a chair, read a little, have a martini, enjoy the country, take a walk, etc. None of that fits a Walmart parking lot. For me, that's what the lifestyle is all about. For others, it getting a free night or putting on a lot of miles then stopping and putting on more miles the next day. So it's all about what you prefer.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Is staying overnight in the parking lot of a WalMart, Target, etc., encouraged?
As stated, many RV'ers do "park" (not camp) at WalMart and other such locations while travelling. The parking lot is not a good place to expect quiet, a place for the kids to play, etc, but like truck stops and rest areas, pulling into most WalMart parking lots after dark (or at dusk) climbing into the trailer to get a few hours sleep and then heading back out on the road after a quick breakfast is an option.

There are a number of sites on the internet that provide information about overnight options in places like this. You can go to the "official WalMart camping site" here: http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

As you can see, not all WalMarts are allowed by local laws to offer overnight RV parking (again, not camping) and it's always best to check with the manager on duty for permission prior to going to sleep.

A few "be careful about's" are in order:
Be careful about your surroundings. Some WalMarts are not in the best parts of town. Pay attention to your surroundings.

Be careful about where you park. Don't park in the center of the lot, find a spot over near the edge, out of the way, where you won't "clog up" the normal flow of shoppers. You'll get a better night's sleep and you won't be "stuck in the middle" the next morning when the lot gets crowded.

Be careful about where you extend slides and be careful about what you "park over". If you must extend your slide to access the necessities in your camper, try to park in such a way that the slide is not in the "flow of traffic". Also, be careful not to park over an automatic sprinkler head. It's no fun to wake up to a wet carpet only to realize that there's a sprinkler under your slide that is pouring water into your RV.

Be careful about what it "appears" you are doing. Don't extend awnings, pull out camp chairs, set up the grill and open a beer. Standing there, in your shorts with a Hawaiian shirt and straw hat, waving to passers-by presents an image that can lead to citizens demanding that the city council establish rules to force people not to "live at WalMart".

So, encouraged? No, permitted, yes, in some places and under some conditions. It's an option, just like parking on the "back lot" at a truck stop or in a campground. Some of us do, some of us don't. Whether it fits your needs as travelling, only you can determine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
jrp

Movin' On

The majority of fulltime RV travelers never make reservations. Part of the great joy of RV travel is going when & where you want, staying as long or as short as you want, and adjusting your plans on the fly when you discover a hidden gem worth more time.
Most of us never have any issues with getting spaces with no reservations, except in a few high traffic "resort or beach" areas or Holiday weekends. Some tricks of the trade that help increase your choice of sites, check in early before the crowds arrive around dinner time; & avoid changing locations on weekends when all the local working folks are out camping.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
ljp

We would use a parking lot, WalMart or others, simply as a resting point in the event we couldn't find an RV park. No doubt common sense applies when deciding whether or not to use an available parking lot and would seek consent to stop for several hours.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
Desert185

For those who have an iPad, RV Parky is a good, free app that maps, describes and provides links to park websites. It also shows Walmart locations (overnight allowed and not overnight allowed). It has really been handy for the short time we have had our SRX.

Personally, I would much rather stay in a crummy park than a Walmart parking lot.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Movin' on

I want to thank everyone for your replies, you certainly have helped.

We sure are looking forward to escaping WV winter this year and hopefully soaking up some sun. The work on the farm is nearly done (if that is even possible), the Cougar has been serviced and is waiting patiently, and soon the adventure will begin.