Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Hansel

**Black Tank Leak**

I've search the forum trying too find the problem I'm having, I started too de-winterize my Laredo today but before I started I noticed it dripping at the rear driver corner, it was coming out right over the jack and then running onto the ground, I then noticed that the screw's holding the plastic bottom on where rusted from being wet, when my camper is parked it sit's nose up because it's on my side driveway which is not level.

Okay, here is what I did. First emptied the black tank, leaking seemed too stop. Then filled up the grey tank, it did not seem too be leaking (dripping) onto the ground. I filled the waste tank up, and it would start too drip

So is it the valve?? or is the tank itself leaking??? but isn't the tank metal??? so I'm leaning towards the valve, and not the tank.

HELP PLEASE
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

To see if it a leaky valve, put some water into your black tank. Remove some of the screws holding the black, coroplast underbelly in place (that is close to the black tank), pull down the coroplast , and have a peek inside to see if you can see any liquid dripping from the black tank valve or from the tank itself.

None of the tanks are metal - they are made from a plastic compound.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
MarkS

I don't think the tank is metal. RV Manufacturers have used plastic for a long long time.

You could put food coloring in the water that you fill the tank with. Different color for each tank.

Ultimately, you are going to have to put eyes on where the leak is. You might be able to use a inspection camera to peek in. You will probably have to drop the bottom of the trailer so you can look in.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Hansel

Well I got brave and pulled down the coroplast and found some really nasty insulation that had gotten soaked with stuff ( ya know what I mean) and it is not the valve it is the tank fitting I guess, the leak is coming from where the pipe comes out of the tank (does that make sense).

So my next question is, does that have a seal?? and how hard would it be or am I chewing off more than I can eat

I was thinking that if it's too big of a job for me, and the camper repair place want's too much, because I know their going rate per hour is over $100 I would let it dry out really good then use some silicone to try and seal it back up.

And thanks for the quick response's
Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Silicone won't hold. There is a "tank repair kit" that is designed to fuse or weld the tank back together. People have used it to repair split or ruptured tanks with great success. I'd think that if you get it cleaned up and dry, you should be able to apply enough around the fitting to permanently seal any leaks. I'd just be cautious not to get any on a part that is designed to be removed and/or replaced such as the tank valve assembly.

Here is a "news release" about the product:

http://www.rvnewsdaily.com/article.php/plasti_mend

There are many places that sell the kit, but here's one so you know what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Mend-Pl.../dp/B003JC3UB2

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Silicone won't hold. There is a "tank repair kit" that is designed to fuse or weld the tank back together. People have used it to repair split or ruptured tanks with great success. I'd think that if you get it cleaned up and dry, you should be able to apply enough around the fitting to permanently seal any leaks. I'd just be cautious not to get any on a part that is designed to be removed and/or replaced such as the tank valve assembly.

Here is a "news release" about the product:

http://www.rvnewsdaily.com/article.php/plasti_mend

There are many places that sell the kit, but here's one so you know what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Plasti-Mend-Pl.../dp/B003JC3UB2
Dude, You ROCK!!!!!!

Thanks for the info
Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #7
Hansel

Okay next question, Sorry about that

I've only pulled down one side of the coroplast, I'm not sure if I want too pull down the entire rear section basically the area behind the axle's or measure out where the tank is leaking which it looks like the tanks valve's are there also, and make myself and access panel??? I figure doing the access idea because I'm sure in the future I will need too get at those valve's so I'm leaning towards cutting and making an access door for that section.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Making an access door will give you the space you need to check and repair the tank valves, but you've said you "think" that's what is leaking but aren't sure. The leak may be from another area or from some damage that can't be seen or repaired from access at the tank valves. If you cut the access, repair what you "think" is the problem, seal it all back up and then find there's another problem you didn't see, you will be doing it all over again.

When evaluating a problem, it's better to start at the top, do the entire inspection, then you'll know what else is wrong. If you start the inspection and stop at the first problem, you may miss all the rest because you never looked.

You wouldn't check the tire pressure in one tire and consider it done, why check for leaks in one corner of the tank and stop? I think it would be better to know the rest of the tank is in good condition.

I'd suggest taking down the coroplast to completely expose that tank. Evaluating everything so you know all the issues, then repairing it once, reinstalling the coroplast and knowing the job is done correctly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
jtyphoid

If you decide to cut an access panel, I recommend cutting a three sided flap instead of a complete square. Cut it such that the hinge is toward the front to minimize the chance of road grime, water, etc. being forced in when travelling. I have had good results using wide Gorilla tape to seal the flap back up.

I agree with JRTJH, though. Only cut a flap if you're certain about the leak location.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
SLIMSHADIE

I had a similar problem with my gray tank. I ended cutting the coloraplast after the axles and removing the tail section. Later I used black gorilla tape for reattaching, wiping the seem with rubbing alcohol and using 3-4 sections, overlapping. I thiink i did the middle, overlapping the outside edges, overlapping the middle, dont quite remember.
Anyways the collar of the tank had some hairline cracks, the fitting looked welded or heated in place. The black tank didnt look quite like that? So after the gray tank was emptied and let dry for a day or 2, I cleaned the area good with rubbing alcohol. I decided to use GEL super glue and smear it into the cracks the best I could using latex gloves. I then let it dry 1 day then got some JB Weld for plastic and top coated the whole collar section past the superglued cracks. Its been holding since the middle of last summer, no leaks. I also no longer travel with filled tanks, trying not to stress them out.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Hansel

Quote:
Making an access door will give you the space you need to check and repair the tank valves, but you've said you "think" that's what is leaking but aren't sure. The leak may be from another area or from some damage that can't be seen or repaired from access at the tank valves. If you cut the access, repair what you "think" is the problem, seal it all back up and then find there's another problem you didn't see, you will be doing it all over again.

When evaluating a problem, it's better to start at the top, do the entire inspection, then you'll know what else is wrong. If you start the inspection and stop at the first problem, you may miss all the rest because you never looked.

You wouldn't check the tire pressure in one tire and consider it done, why check for leaks in one corner of the tank and stop? I think it would be better to know the rest of the tank is in good condition.

I'd suggest taking down the coroplast to completely expose that tank. Evaluating everything so you know all the issues, then repairing it once, reinstalling the coroplast and knowing the job is done correctly.
I've found the leak, it's the pipe that is coming out of the black tank. I think I'm going too pull down the rear coroplast area, and do it right. It; going too be messy for sure I'm glad I caught this now because we go on vacation the first week of June
Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
BulletOwner1

I'm glad to hear you are pulling down a larger piece of the coroplast. That way the repair will be easier to accomplish AND you can remove (hopefully) all the "dirty" insulation.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
I'm glad to hear you are pulling down a larger piece of the coroplast. That way the repair will be easier to accomplish AND you can remove (hopefully) all the "dirty" insulation.
Ya, half the fun (NOT!!!!) is going too be cleaning the coroplast where the insulation has been contaminated
Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

You called for JRTJH???? I'm right here, but...... I'm not crawling under that thing to slit the coroplast for you LOL You're on your own with a poo problem

Sorry to hear about the leak. Do you have any idea what it is or do you have any indication of what might have happened?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Hansel

Quote:
You called for JRTJH???? I'm right here, but...... I'm not crawling under that thing to slit the coroplast for you LOL You're on your own with a poo problem

Sorry to hear about the leak. Do you have any idea what it is or do you have any indication of what might have happened?
I'm confused

I don't remember calling ya, but I do thank you for the post where you link to the stuff I need too repair my tank.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm confused too..... I think somehow I posted that response to another member and for some reason it wound up here rather than there...... I suppose when it comes to sewer gas, it can cause "wobbly posting" LOL

Keep us posted on how your repair goes, I'm thinking that you'll be thankful that you cleaned everything out of the coroplast once you're finished. It will be nice to sit under the awning on a damp day without having the "mist of poo" wafting out from under your RV.... Knowing it's all clean and "fresh" will go a long way toward happy camping......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #17
Hansel

Quote:
I'm confused too..... I think somehow I posted that response to another member and for some reason it wound up here rather than there...... I suppose when it comes to sewer gas, it can cause "wobbly posting" LOL

Keep us posted on how your repair goes, I'm thinking that you'll be thankful that you cleaned everything out of the coroplast once you're finished. It will be nice to sit under the awning on a damp day without having the "mist of poo" wafting out from under your RV.... Knowing it's all clean and "fresh" will go a long way toward happy camping......
I will take some pics. of the project as it goes along, but the weather is not looking good for this weekend, and I'm so looking forward too cleaning the area out

It's not nearly as bad as my septic system which yesterday set me back 4K
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post

It's not nearly as bad as my septic system which yesterday set me back 4K
OUCH !

Oh, and in case your wondering, I really don't need to see pictures of that .
Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
OUCH !

Oh, and in case your wondering, I really don't need to see pictures of that .
Ya know your right

No pics, not as bad as I thought, rolled the coroplast back, and cleaned it up some too find a crack where the piece coming out of the tank is cracked at the seam, it looks like the stuff they used to glue it together has failed.

So I will be ordering the Plasti-Mend stuff today, and hopefully all patched up by this time next week

Thanks for the help guys

Almost forgot I found a red wire that was not connected to anything there is a white, green, brown and then this red wire that looks like it runs all together with the rest, but just ends (weird)
Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
Ya know your right

No pics, not as bad as I thought, rolled the coroplast back, and cleaned it up some too find a crack where the piece coming out of the tank is cracked at the seam, it looks like the stuff they used to glue it together has failed.

So I will be ordering the Plasti-Mend stuff today, and hopefully all patched up by this time next week

Thanks for the help guys

Almost forgot I found a red wire that was not connected to anything there is a white, green, brown and then this red wire that looks like it runs all together with the rest, but just ends (weird)
I would bet the wire is for the sender on an optional tank that you dont have?
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote