Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
rode2nowhere

running water heater on gas

OK I am kinda newbie with a 2011 sprinter 311bhs, I have always camped with water and electric, now I wonder what I have to do to turn water heater to run on gas and 12 volt if the need arises.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
jsmith948

On our Suburban water heater, the control circuitry for the propane igniter is 12V, there should be a switch on your inside switch panel (ours is next to the water pump switch). The gas and 120v ac can run at the same time. If you are dry camping, or for some reason lose the functionality of the 120v heating element, simply turn the 12v switch on. We seldom use the electric side of the heater, but did use it in conjunction with the gas for a quicker return when our grand daughters were with us.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
rode2nowhere

mine has only on/off switch...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Bob Landry

Yours may be electric only. Look in the manual that came with it or call the manufacturer tech support with the model number. I would think that if it would run either way, there would be a switch on the wall.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
rode2nowhere

its gas too, trying to look up brand without going outside,,,
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
spicercars

The switch on the inside is for the gas and to run on electric the switch is under the cover on the outside. Look for a black switch. Don't try and run both at the same time. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
The switch on the inside is for the gas and to run on electric the switch is under the cover on the outside. Look for a black switch. Don't try and run both at the same time. Good luck.
There's no problem running it on both at the same time. People do it all the time for faster recovery time between showers.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
spicercars

I burned up the thermostat on mine and the dealer told me it was because I ran on both gas and electric. That's why I don't do it anymore.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
I burned up the thermostat on mine and the dealer told me it was because I ran on both gas and electric. That's why I don't do it anymore.
I have to disagree with the dealer, but that's just my opinion. The thermostat should cut off either or both heat sources when it reaches the right temp. My guess is that you just had a defective thermostat, again.... JMHO

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
bobbecky

Suburban water heaters had a defective bunch of 120v thermostats, the ones with a red button reset that is under the little rubber covers. We had our thermostat fail last year, and the thermostat was burnt. The manual indicates that the max recovery rating on these water heaters is with both gas and electric running at the same time. Just because the dealer sells RV's doesn't mean the people selling them have a clue how they work. You are better off doing your own homework to get the correct info, either by reading the manufacturer's manuals or asking questions on this and other forums. Even here, still double check what is said, because some replies are just opinions, not intentionally wrong. but still an excellent place to get experienced info.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
gwbillett

I have a 2014 bullet and we have the option of running either or but is there a plus to run elcetric vs gas vs both. Our old TT only used gas but this has the option of either or I guess both. For our first rip I used electric, I guess my question is; which one is the best? I don't think we need to run both at the same time for our family
Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
bobbecky

If you have full hookups, and can run all the electric you need at no additional charge, run the electric. This past winter, while still in very cold weather and going through a 30# tank of propane every other day, we conserved gas as much as possible and just used electric, even though we were being charged for the electric. When we stay at a park that only has 30 amp electric, we set the water heater and the fridge to gas only, to reduce the electric load so we can use the A/C and microwave (not at the same time). So, there is no better way to heat water, just what works for the situation you are in.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
rode2nowhere

I do use electric, all I have used I just want to know how to run gas, I am taking the money pit out camping this weekend and try to find out more info....
Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
rode2nowhere

back from first trip of year, water heater works on gas by turning heater switch
inside trailer on wall to on, which I thought was just the main heater only, the igniter started arcing and took only 2 times to fire after air purged out of gas line , great way to improve shower time, and much hotter.