Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 AM   #21
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rode2nowhere View Post
what do you mean back the nut under the coupler ?
this should explain it a little better...
There's a nut under the hitch on the trailer that will let you adjust how tight it goes around the slender part..... If you can take the two inch ball out of the receiver on your tow then insert it into the trailer end by hand and make any adjustments....... also be certain to look under the hitch on the trailer to see if anything looks broken or bent...... on a 2000 trailer it should be okay but that nut under there may need adjustment...... without getting into it too much that nut under there is an aircraft self locking nut and when you screw it in the "Off" direction it should have some resistance and not move by hand.... if it does get a new aircraft type nut (metal nut with plastic on the end to hold it in place).

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #22
rode2nowhere

I am off work today, will look at it...thanks
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia

What I and most on here have called the hitch is actually named "coupler". There have been many different types made and still used on RVs. Without showing the coupler or telling us what trailer you have, we are just guessing. The only other helpful advice I can give is, make sure the ball and the coupler are the same size. Both have the sizes on them. It would not be the first time I seen or read about folks using the wrong size of ball and coupler. Good Luck and let us know what you find that works.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #24
GaryWT

Many have little issues hooking and unhooking. I have learned over time what I need to do to unhook. Once parked, leveled and chocked I raise the front of the trailer to take my bars off. Once off I start to lower it but the latch will only release at a certain point so I have one hand on the latch pulling it so it opens once I hit the spot. Next I start to raise the front jack which generally raises the truck a bit before the ball drops out and truck drops down. I have always had the ball drop before I ran out of jack height. Might not be perfect but works for me.

On hook up the latch does not always close until I move the truck forward and back some but that is easy enough.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
It sounds simple. I had the same issue last week as we tried to get the new trailer detached from our tow vehicle (first time) We are using an Anderson hitch.

After nearly a half hour, I was covered in sweat, had moved the tow vehicle back and forth, very slightly, raised, lowered...

Finally it came off.

I will try blocking the TT tires first as suggested (can I just put some 2x10 blocks on each side of the tires?)
I also have the Andersen hitch. I found that I have to raise the truck and trailer a little bit to free the Andersen. At that point I hardly need the ratchet wrench and usually only on one side. Then I have to lower it until there is no pressure on the hitch. The latch then easily opens and I can raise the trailer until it comes free. Seldom have to move the truck forward--unless there is a lot of backward pressure from the truck. Suspect this procedure is the same for any tailer. I did the same when I had the Equal-i-zer on another trailer and truck.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:29 AM   #26
oldcow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Many have little issues hooking and unhooking. I have learned over time what I need to do to unhook. Once parked, leveled and chocked I raise the front of the trailer to take my bars off. Once off I start to lower it but the latch will only release at a certain point so I have one hand on the latch pulling it so it opens once I hit the spot. Next I start to raise the front jack which generally raises the truck a bit before the ball drops out and truck drops down. I have always had the ball drop before I ran out of jack height. Might not be perfect but works for me.

On hook up the latch does not always close until I move the truck forward and back some but that is easy enough.
I have the same process because the ball on the Equilizer hitch is set at a forward angle. Beacuse of this angle, I sometimes have to back up slightly as the ball gets caught up on the lip of the whatever its called where it sits in rather than the latch.

Oldcow
oldcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #27
robo

Now after u get it off put some grease on the ball
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
rode2nowhere

Went camping again over the weekend, site was pretty level and the ball released easily. Previous trip where I had trouble the trailer was level and the truck was on a slight incline. I believe that's where the problem was, answer to keep from happening I don't really know. Just deal with it I guess.
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote