Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
caberto

Rats

We have recently moved in to a new house with lots of trees and plants - but lots of old brush as well that we've been working on getting rid of. Since we've been working around the house the 5er has been sitting for a little while, and we now have rats (they were most likely already here in the brush and found a warmer home in the 5th wheel compartments; the house was vacant for 2 years).

We found out when we went in to have a look-over inside about a week ago since we're taking it out for the memorial day weekend, and found the slides wouldn't work. We went out to the battery compartment and found a nest, lots of rat droppings and chewed up wires. Flushed out one rat with the water hose from there and have since trapped another 3 rats outside, and removed one baby from the nose of the 5er. So far, we see no entry into the fiver itself, only the outside compartments (the nose by the pin and the battery compartment.

I was going to replace the wiring in the battery compartment myself, but also found chewed wire by the pin where it goes from the umbilical to a box then into the 5th wheel nose, so there is also damage inside the nose where I can't get to it. I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow to a local dealer and hopefully have everything fixed by next Wednesday when we plan on leaving. They said they will be able to have it done. The dealer is close by, a few miles, so if they chewed through the brake wires, I can still get it there carefully and slowly via back roads.

We have since put out mothballs, peppermint oil, around the entry points, and think we have caught all the rats doing the damage. Our malamute hasn't chased out anymore rats from the bushes (which will be removed this weekend) though he continues to sniff around, and our traps have been empty in the morning for the last few days.

What else can I do, and what should I expect from the dealer? We've called our insurance company, and they indicate this will be covered by our policy should it go over our deductible amount, which I'm thinking it will.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks!
caberto is offline   Reply With Quote