Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
Glenn54

Avalanche 355RK - which truck?

We are buying an Avalanche 355RK next week. We do not have to have a truck initially because we are having it delivered to the space where we'll be living in it for 2 or 3 years. I do want to have a truck eventually, maybe by next hurricane season(live near Galveston). Can this trailer be towed by a 3/4 ton diesel or will I need a 1 ton? Dually? I'm new to travel trailers but have towed boats for years. But, the boats were much smaller than this trailer. 11,890 lbs, 2,865 lbs hitch weight. Thanks.
Glenn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
gearhead

I bet you could pull that with a Toyota double cab!
We have discussed this recently right?
I'm taking a chance here. lol
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
x96mnn

I tow almost the exact same specs, think I am 20pds lighter but I bet what my wife packs in more then makes up for it. I use the truck in my sig, one ton crew cab dually. Know I have plenty of truck and can drive relaxed with one hand.

I will state my first tow with it, about 50 miles, which included a 250meter climb over 8miles was done so with a chev 3/4 ton that was chipped and had Bridgestone airbags and it handled it just as well as my dodge 1 ton. Numbers wise I am not sure of it would be ok or how the truck would perform after 100000 miles of it. But I guess I don't know how mine will either.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Glenn54

That's funny. Yes sir, I believe you've been most helpful on 2cool. I'm pretty sure you're right from what I've read. But I noticed there's one member on here that is using a 3/4 ton diesel so hope to get some additional thoughts. After the info you gave me, we considered changing our minds and selecting another unit. Then we decided we really like it so we will stick with it and get whatever truck is necessary.

Thanks for pointing me to this website. I've seen several things on here I need to find out during the walk thru on Tuesday. Gray water valve locations, etc.

What part of town do you live in? Drop by and check out our new purchase if you're in the area.
Glenn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
gearhead

Yeah, I saw the post and figured it had to be you. Lol
There is lots of good info here. I think your best plan is to get the rv you want and match the truck to it.
I'm just up Hwy 146 in Liberty.
Welcome to keystonerv.org. Good folks here.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I bet you could pull that with a Toyota double cab!
We have discussed this recently right?
I'm taking a chance here. lol
Tacoma or Tundra???? Of course it would have to have the optional TRD package..... Hmmmmmm

Realistically, if you consider 3/4 ton and a 1 ton SRW trucks, they are essentially the same vehicle with a bit different ratings, but the same components (for the most part). The difference in price is about $1000. If you're considering a gas engine, in the F250, you'll be looking at a payload of about 2700 lbs with XLT trim. In the F350, you can add roughly 1000 lbs to that figure. With the gas engine, the 3/4 ton is probably adequate, but when you add the weight of the diesel engine (about 600 lbs) to the mix, that puts the payload of the F250 down to about 2100 - 2300 lbs. Now, you're looking at a "bare minimum truck" in payload but an engine that will pull anything built with an RV sticker on it.... Since the 1 ton trucks are "just about the same truck" with an increased payload, depending on how your state charges for registration, you may find that the F350 SRW is a more capable tow vehicle for your RV. Run the numbers both ways and see what best fits the requirement.

ADDED: Keep in mind that if you're going to add the washer/dryer to the mix, it will increase your pin weight significantly over the "advertised weight"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
I tow almost the exact same specs, think I am 20pds lighter ...
x96mnn,

Is the trailer in your signature your current trailer? Is the Sprinter 266 travel trailer the one you're comparing to Glenn54's question? He is asking about an Avalanche 355RK which is a 38' fifth wheel weighing 11,700 lbs empty with a pin weight of about 2866 lbs.

Just trying to get a perspective on what you're comparing, so if you've changed trailers and no longer have the Sprinter 266, what are you using to compare?

Thanks

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
gearhead

Glenn, look in the "Keystone Questions" section of this forum for the Pre Delivery Inspection form. It will be labelled a "sticky" just like on our fishing forum. Read that and print it out to take with you when you do the walk through at the dealership. Document everything that has a problem. Don't let them rush you. Don't be reluctant to decline delivery until its fixed. Once you leave with it it's whole different world dealing with the service dept.
They are selling so many rv's they admitted to me that they're just threading water in service, and sometimes not that.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #9
Glenn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Glenn, look in the "Keystone Questions" section of this forum for the Pre Delivery Inspection form. It will be labelled a "sticky" just like on our fishing forum. Read that and print it out to take with you when you do the walk through at the dealership. Document everything that has a problem. Don't let them rush you. Don't be reluctant to decline delivery until its fixed. Once you leave with it it's whole different world dealing with the service dept.
They are selling so many rv's they admitted to me that they're just threading water in service, and sometimes not that.
Will do. Thanks to you and others for suggestions so far.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 AM   #10
Glenn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Tacoma or Tundra???? Of course it would have to have the optional TRD package..... Hmmmmmm

Realistically, if you consider 3/4 ton and a 1 ton SRW trucks, they are essentially the same vehicle with a bit different ratings, but the same components (for the most part). The difference in price is about $1000. If you're considering a gas engine, in the F250, you'll be looking at a payload of about 2700 lbs with XLT trim. In the F350, you can add roughly 1000 lbs to that figure. With the gas engine, the 3/4 ton is probably adequate, but when you add the weight of the diesel engine (about 600 lbs) to the mix, that puts the payload of the F250 down to about 2100 - 2300 lbs. Now, you're looking at a "bare minimum truck" in payload but an engine that will pull anything built with an RV sticker on it.... Since the 1 ton trucks are "just about the same truck" with an increased payload, depending on how your state charges for registration, you may find that the F350 SRW is a more capable tow vehicle for your RV. Run the numbers both ways and see what best fits the requirement.

ADDED: Keep in mind that if you're going to add the washer/dryer to the mix, it will increase your pin weight significantly over the "advertised weight"....
Thanks. You've confirmed what gearhead told me on another forum. I think I'll be looking at a 1 ton, diesel.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 AM   #11
jtyphoid

Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm just up Hwy 6 near Alvin. Yes, being able to bug out for a hurricane is handy. We've done that several times already. We had stopped near a packed gas station for a leg stretch during one evacuation and someone came over and asked if I would sell my trailer right there on the spot.

I pull a 2009 Raptor with a Ford F350 SRW Crew Cab short bed diesel, and with an actual pin weight of 2840 wet and loaded, I'm right at the rear axle weight limit. I have some breathing room on all of the other limits (GCWR, front axle, etc.).

With that much pin weight, I added air bags to level it back out and get some travel back in the rear suspension to handle potholes and bumps. The combination generally works okay and feels safe, but I've driven more "comfortable" combinations before and I have an F350 dually on order because I want more safety margin and comfort.

One more thing - if you are or will become a Texas resident, then the general consensus is that you'll need a Class A exempt (also sometimes called a Class A non-commercial) DL because your trailer GVWR is over 10K. You can search for Class A in the forums to see why I say "general consensus".
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 AM   #12
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
x96mnn,

Is the trailer in your signature your current trailer? Is the Sprinter 266 travel trailer the one you're comparing to Glenn54's question? He is asking about an Avalanche 355RK which is a 38' fifth wheel weighing 11,700 lbs empty with a pin weight of about 2866 lbs.

Just trying to get a perspective on what you're comparing, so if you've changed trailers and no longer have the Sprinter 266, what are you using to compare?

Thanks
Towing a sandpiper 30IOK 38ft 5er
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Wow, already a lot of replies on this one. I had a Jayco 291 RLTS that is almost identical on weights, towed it with a 2500 crew cab short bed Dmax. It was at it's limit on GVWRs, but towed great. If I were you, I'd probably go with a 3500 SRW, but if there is ever a chance of doing a lot of traveling with it or going just a little bigger, I recommend stepping up to the DRW. Probably the biggest concern I had with the SRW was the tires, it's a lot of weight on a single wheel. That is why I recommend the dually if you ever plan to do a lot of towing. Call me crazy, I just don't like the idea of stressing tires with 13,000 lbs in tow at 65 mph.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

I will second a DRW. I got a flat on I-40 in misery (Missouri) with 1985# king pin. NO issues handling the load and safely stopping.

Same scenario with a SRW? Don't know if it would be that good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote