Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
tcob68

Roof Strength

Hi everyone. I have a Montana High Country 343RL and after doing some reading here I decided I want to wash my roof and clean out my A/C units and was just wondering how sturdy are the roofs on these trailers. I am a bigger guy and use my trailer for work. I definitely don't want to get up there and end up inside the trailer with a huge hole in the roof. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd say that at 200 lbs you'd be safe to walk carefully on the roof while making sure to step on the rafters and avoid stepping between them. You could add a "few pounds" by using a couple of pieces of plywood covered with old carpet to prevent scratching the rubber (some people have suggested using 2" pink rigid foam cut in 24"x24" squares). Either of these would "spread the weight" over a larger area...

However, depending on your interpretation of what constitutes "a bigger guy" you might want to consider using a ladder and scrubbing the roof from the sides. Realistically, all of the roof is only 4 feet away from any point on the side of the RV and you can get even closer if you stand higher on the ladder and lean over.

I don't think Keystone has ever publicized a statement that gives a specific weight limit, nor have they stated (to my knowledge) that if an owner weighs more than a specific weight, not to get on the roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Quad

I'm not sure what your definition is of a bigger guy. But I'm 250ish plus or minus. I've never had an problems on our old 1986 Yellowstone or our new 2013 Laredo. I even use the rear ladder sometimes climbing up on the roof. But I don't run around. Just walk and climb carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Stublejumper

Myself at 240 have had no problems ,installing vent covers ,solar panels and cleaning. Stay close to the sides and you will have no problems.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
byrdr1

Well I can chime in here.
I am A BIGGER and heavier guy than all the weights above listed. I crawl around on my roof. CRAWL being the main thing. I have stood on my roof before and I have walked on it. I am much more comfortable crawling around than walking around on it. It will flex as you walk across it, if you don't walk on the roof rafters. I get my son to help me wash the roof. He is around 150-160lbs so he can walk on it and do what I ask him to do.
NOW this is JMHO,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
JAL

My wife and I were at the local fair last year watching a grandstand show that the local RV dealer was helping sponsor. They had a new Raptor sitting along one end of the area but still with good view of the stage. I watched several of the RV dealer employees proceed to climb the ladder to the roof of the Raptor and walk around and sit on the roof. I would have to say there were at least 10 of them up there watching the show. I made a comment to my wife that I would hate to be the guy that bought that trailer. I have to wonder if they figured it out later because they had a Raptor sitting there again this year at the same show, I didn't see anyone on the roof this year.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I had a 2003 Homestead that got hail damage. When I had it at an RV repair facility for an estimate the guy walked up on the roof like it was nothing. I asked him if there were any concerns with me going up there as well. His response was simple, "these things will support a lot more than people give them credit for. They will flex a bit, but that's about it". The Homestead ended up being totaled. Since then I've had a Jayco and the current Alpine, walked on both without concern. With that said, the Alpine is the best of all three, it doesn't flex. I'm 220 lbs.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
tcob68

Thanks to everyone for your replies, exactly the information I was looking for!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Rickmuzick

Newer units

Depending on your model the newer lite fivers and the trailers have the aluminum stringers instead of the 1 x 2's and 2 x 6's

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8945...ster_apr14.pdf
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote