Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Big Dave

2015 Silverado 3500 dually, Exhuast Brake

Maybe someone out here can help with this question, because I am getting mixed answers from my dealer!

Can I leave the exhaust brake on all the time, whether towing or not, I think it would save on the brakes, But I don't want to cause engine problems???????

Thank you for any and all help!
Big Dave
2015 Ford F350, Lariat, with King Ranch wood trim interior, 5th wheel hitch prep package, trailer towing package, camper package, 3.73 limited slip rear axle, Lariat Ultimate package, spray in bed liner, rapid heat, FX4 package, 26,500lbs Reese Fifth wheel
U.S. Army Retired
1972 to 1992
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
bsmith0404

I wouldn't say it will hurt the engine, but I don't think you would want to leave it on. When the engine brake kicks in, the transmission will down shift to raise the engine RPMs in order to get enough exhaust pressure. There are times with light towing that I turn mine off to keep the revs down. I'll replace the brakes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Drew Waller

Engine Brake

I only use mine when I get into those 5-8 degree hills in West Virginia. It holds the load back but it revs up to 4K. I think when it revs like that it has to be using fuel so the fuel mileage might suffer a little bit. But it sure is nice going down those hills without applying the brakes on a run. I like it and turn it off when I don't need it.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
JohnD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Waller View Post
I only use mine when I get into those 5-8 degree hills in West Virginia. It holds the load back but it revs up to 4K. I think when it revs like that it has to be using fuel so the fuel mileage might suffer a little bit. But it sure is nice going down those hills without applying the brakes on a run. I like it and turn it off when I don't need it.
I saw a piece on you tube that stated when in tow mode with the exhaust brake on on a downgrade the fuel actually shuts off in the chevy and the motor compression acts more like an air compressor. As far as running it full time, Don't see a need, jmo
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
mikebrls

also when empty and in rain or snow it could lock up tire's briefly and cause you to loose control , and when empty and you take your foot off pedal to coast to stop sign or light it will slow you down to much and cause you to keep your foot on the gas and use more fuel
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
bobbecky

First, you need to turn the exhaust brake on when needed, it will default to off every time you turn the engine off. I will use the brake when in the mountains and not towing. When towing, the tow/haul is on as well as the exhaust brake, always. Better to use a little extra fuel, if the system causes that, than burning up the brakes. Just like on the big rigs, if you lose your brakes, you have nothing else to do but find a place to ditch it. If the manufacturer didn't think the exhaust brake should be used when unloaded, it would say so in the manual.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Okay, to get more technical, diesels are not like gas engines in the fact that they do not have a natural engine braking when you let off the gas. The exhaust brake creates this by partially closing off the exhaust in order to build back pressure in the cylinder. Damage can occur if back pressures thresholds are exceeded. The e-brake is designed to stay below those parameters, so in theory, using the e-brake loaded or unloaded will not cause damage to the engine.

BTW, damage to the engine would occur if the parameters were exceeded because the pressures coming from the down side of the exhaust would exceed the valve spring's ability to close the valve causing piston to valve contact. So it's not from the pressures built up in the cylinder. Hope this helps.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
dm1401

The engine brake in my ram 3500 cummins and your duramax are basically identical in design, with the ram it is recommended to run it all the time or at least once in a while. When engaged and being used it causes the veins in the variable vain turbo to slide back and forth which regulates the pressure in the cylinder which in turn causes engine breaking , the sliding back and forth helps keep the turbo internals clean and working properly. I assume it would be the same for your duramax, and i did a quick search and it seems lot of owners are running it all the time. I found slightly less MPG when using, but only because you can't coast as much.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
hankaye

Big Dave, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Maybe someone out here can help with this question, because I am getting mixed answers from my dealer!

Can I leave the exhaust brake on all the time, whether towing or not, I think it would save on the brakes, But I don't want to cause engine problems???????

Thank you for any and all help!
Big Dave
You might want to take notice of the signs that some locals post at the
edge of town that state "Engine Brakes are Prohibited", that does not
just apply to commercial trucks.
I don't think it would hurt your engine ... but it may hurt your wallet.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Javi

I can see no earthly reason to drive around with the Jake switched on.. Use it when you need it, turn it off when you don't. You ain't gonna save the brakes that-a-way.. The Jake is to provide extra braking when needed, not to be your brake.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
bsmith0404

Javi, too much time in the big rigs

Just so people don't get confused, there is a difference between a jake and an exhaust brake, although many people refer to them as the same. A true jake brake on a big rig uses hydraulic pressure to change the valve opening timing essentially turning the engine into an air compressor with no power stroke (exhaust valve opens before TDC on the compression stroke). An exhaust brake simply closes off part of the exhaust pipe or turbo, creating pressure down line from the engine. When the exhaust valve opens under normal timing the pressure is forced back into the cylinder.

Most city ordinances will say you cannot use a compression brake which is a jake brake. Not sure if they would write a ticket for using an exhaust brake. Technically, it's not a compression/jake brake, but that is splitting hairs. I don't know if I'd want to try to argue that case with a judge.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
Javi

Its the noise they don't want, if the exhaust goes to popping, the law will go to writting..
Old 11-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Its the noise they don't want, if the exhaust goes to popping, the law will go to writting..
Exactly, but these trucks aren't loud when the exhaust brake kicks in. A little louder than normal, but nothing like the popping of the jake brakes that you can hear for blocks. At least with the duramax, I don't know that I've ever heard a ford or dodge.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Desert185

I use the EB at will in my mountain environment...empty or loaded. It doesn't hurt a thing. You will adapt its use to your style of driving. Its a great energy management tool that will save your brakes, if used properly. It also quickens warmup in the mornings.

I have a stick, so downshifts aren't an issue for me, unless I want one.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
2014301ktmhauler

Just so people don't get confused, there is a difference between a jake and an exhaust brake, although many people refer to them as the same. A true jake brake on a big rig uses hydraulic pressure to change the valve opening timing essentially turning the engine into an air compressor with no power stroke (exhaust valve opens before TDC on the compression stroke). An exhaust brake simply closes off part of the exhaust pipe or turbo, creating pressure down line from the engine. When the exhaust valve opens under normal timing the pressure is forced back into the cylinder.

Very well explained by Mr. Smith.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
danisr1

I only run mine when towing. I also don't live in hill or mountain country by any means.

Running with it on while not towing doesn't make for the smoothest ride either.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
LittleJoe

Run the exhaust brake all the time except of on slippery or wet roads. It is not lould and the difference is barely audible outside the truck. Keeping it excercised is the key to not having turbo issues.
The "brake" is a variable vane turbo that chokes down to create backpressure, not the old style butterfly valve in the exhaust after the turbo.

The Dmax brake will not hold a candle to the Ram brake(have used both) in holding back a heavy load. Both are a large step forward from not having one.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post

The Dmax brake will not hold a candle to the Ram brake(have used both) in holding back a heavy load. Both are a large step forward from not having one.
Interesting that you say that, mine holds back 15k lbs without any problem on some pretty steep grades out in Colorado and Wyoming. I also saw comparison tests somewhere and the dmax held constant speed better than Ford and Dodge.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
danisr1

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-s...uck-1515047393

The part on the exhaust brake:

But I'll move it along... it's a heavy duty truck, and you want to know what it can tow.

GM took us out to mountain they call "Rye Grade," where they claimed they do development work on their big trucks. They had a base 2014 F-250 6.7 Power Stroke, an equally spartan Ram 6.7 Cummins and a range-topping 2015 Silverado 2500 LTZ 6.6 Duramax for us to run up and down the hill with 10,000 pounds of trailer behind each.

GM told us everything was as spec'ed out as possible for towing, though obviously the experience in the leather-soaked Silverado was more pleasant than the work rigs.

Our first test was down the hill; each truck had exhaust brakes active and cruise control set to the 55 MPH speed limit. I drove both the F-250 and the Silverado myself, and I can confirm that the Blue Oval was running away on me all the way down the hill. The Ram was a little easier to manage, but only The General's Silverado required zero pedal input whatsoever.

Chevy cleaned up on the climb too — from a rolling start at about 25 MPH, the bowtie buried both of the other two trucks over and over again.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Desert185

Within the story was this:

"It's an exciting time to be talking about trucks— every automaker is bending the throttle on innovation in the utility segment and it's all-out war to be king of every comparison. GM impressed me with their intelligent cruise control, but Ram's Nick Cappa wanted to address some things I might have missed.

One of my favorite features about the Silverado 2500 was its ability to lock speed at the 55 MPH posted limit up and down some serious grading. The Ford and Ram ran away, but Cappa explained that Ram's "smart exhaust brake," which modulates itself based on towing weight and vehicle speed, would have been effective at the higher speeds drivers would be more likely to travel. He also mentioned the smart-brake might not have been active in the test vehicle we were driving. Unfortunately, I was ignorant of such a feature's existence when I rode in the Ram so that's a mystery for another day.

As for the results of the drag race, Cappa naturally cited the difference in gearing across the three trucks. True, but the trucks were set up as equally as they could be based on what's available in the market. Granted, GM selected the size they'd perform best at. But wouldn't you?

The last, and maybe most significant, issue he wanted to discuss were the claims GM made about the Ram and Ford heavy-duties limiting the torque output in 1st and 2nd gear.

"Well, what does that say about their engines?"

Cappa was keen to suggest he reckoned that the Ram 2500 applied more power in first even with limited output. Now that's a stat I want to investigate... hopefully someone will lend us a dyno soon."

End...

There might be more to the article that wasn't disclosed, in all fairness. I will also add that the Chev/GMC is a great truck. It would just be nice to know ALL the details...like rear end ratios, etc.

To relate a personal experience, I rolled down an 8% grade from 10,000' in Colorado with the SRX at ~11,000# a few months back. The radar enforced (and it was) speed limit was 45 MPH. With exhaust brake armed, I started down after the climb up in fourth gear. Fifth wouldn't hold the speed, but 4th held 45 MPH all the way down without adding power or touching the brakes. Every diesel, regardless of make needs an exhaust brake in the mountains. I can't imagine having to join the "brakelight brigade" going downhill in the mountains with a trailer that grosses at 12,650#, or even higher as some are.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote