Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Ptbranson

Still waiting for slide out fix

In September 2013 we purchased a 2014 Cougar X-lite 5th wheel. Before we took it off the lot the slide outs would not go in. The service center took a charge board from another one and put it in ours. That was charge board #2. We used it two days and it happened again. We could not get it into the service center then until late October. We then had to wait 4 weeks for the part to come. We then had charge board #3 put in.

While using it this July it went out again. Another month before we could get into a service center. They ordered the part which took another 4 weeks to get. Now we are into September and the end of our warranty. Before putting it in the service department person called Keystone about it and was told NOT to put it in because it would just go out again. They were going to send a different type of board. Another 4 weeks so we are now into October and then the service center was told that they should not have been sent that board but one that was like the original. now we are at the end of November and after 5 weeks this time it is finally here. We will go in on December 9 to have board #4 put in.

We don't know if that will work or for how long. Even Keystone won't say for sure it will work. The remote also quit so could not use that. We have been sitting here since July not being able to use our camper. Has anyone else had this problem? We are very disappointed in the time it takes to get a part. After this many times shouldn't they be looking for a problem other than just sending a new board each time? Out of 14 months we have had it in or waiting for parts and repair for 7 months. Not happy campers!
Ptbranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

By "charge board" do you mean the remote control board mounted in the forward bulkhead of the trailer or some other board?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Ptbranson

It is the electrical terminal board that is located in the front ditch side of the camper in the same compartment as the house battery. This runs the slide outs and we are having board #4 put in. Anything you can shed some light on for this ongoing problem is appreciated.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

That is (I believe) the remote control panel. If there are several black and white wires connected to it in pairs, it IS the remote control panel. Unless there's a short or a ground in one of the component wiring connections, there's really no reason for the board to keep malfunctioning. With 3 having failed already, I'd say that something "outside the panel" is causing the panel to malfunction. Replacing another panel will probably not "fix the problem" and in a few weeks/months, you'll be installing #5. The dealer needs to troubleshoot your wiring and find the cause, not keep replacing the "burned out component" There's something making it "burn out" and finding/repairing that issue is the only way to prevent the next failure.

I'd push the dealer to dig a LOT deeper than replacing the failed component. He needs to find out "WHY" the component has failed so many times.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
mcsearch1

Push Keystone and the dealer for a real diagnosis and fix of the root cause of the repeated board failures. To keep replacing boards is a waste of everybody's time. Sadly, I've seen this behavior many times from equipment suppliers servicing equipment in the plants I have managed through the years. It never works and I end up contacting someone up the chain at the supplier to express my "frustration." Keep the pressure on for the real fix and keep a detailed timeline of the issue from day one so Keystone doesn't use warranty expiration to walk away before the real issue is fixed. Good luck.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Ptbranson

Thanks for the input and advice. We have asked Keystone why it keeps burning out and their response is that they do not know and keep sending new boards. We have a file of all correspondense with them and Keystone also has all details with dates.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

You should also ask for and in my opinion receive an extension on the warranty. I've seen other manufacturers extend them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
theeyres

Just a thought...is there another dealer in the area? It sounds like somebody else needs to dig into the problem and find the answer. It obviously isn't the board. And your dealer isn't getting the job done. If not, I would insist on talking to the supervisor or next one up the chain of command at Keystone. Do it on the phone and don't take "no" until you talk to a higher up. They hate to get involved so will usually handle the problem.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #9
notanlines

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but just be absolutely sure to continue with the note-keeping. You are probably very close to "lawyering up" and your notes will be very important.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
jsmith948

First and foremost, ANYTHING you try to do on your own could affect your warranty. Having said that, you might try to do a forum search for 'remote control' or 'control board'. There was a thread on here that talked about bypassing the remote's board to solve a similar problem. I know the remote is important to some, but, we never use our's. Don't like the delayed response and the resultant 'ratcheting' of the slide motors. I also agree that you need to find out why there is so much current draw that the board keeps failing.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
GaryWT

As others have said, the reason the boards are failing needs to be found and fixed. It must be some type of short in the system. Hope they take the time to do this for you.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to sound like a broken record but, there is something outside the board causing the problem.

I have a remote that won't work. In working with Lippert (it's under warranty but was told to call them by the dealer) trying to determine the problem I got involved with the control board - I believe it is probably the one that you are dealing with. There are a few different models but they all have outputs to the various mechanical "things" (slides/stabilizers etc) if I recall. I would imagine they could unwire the outputs from the board and re-connect them one at a time and see if there is a slide or something causing a large draw thru the board that burns it out. Below are the directions I was given to find the info on the remotes and boards;

"You can also go to our website: WWW.LCI1.COM and click on customer service at the top of page. Scroll down to ELECTRONICS and from there you will find all we have on our wireless remote systems. Under Lip Sheets (drop down menu) you will find all trouble shooting info and Manuals under the Manual drop down menu."

I have a TT, not a 5th wheel, and my board is located on the forward wall of the trailer in the pass thru compartment. It is just a black plastic box the, when removed, has all the wiring and the board. It is just above the batteries inside the trailer.

Don't know if it will help but at least it will kind of give you an idea of what might be going on and possibly give you some info to pass to the service manager at the dealership. Having put 5 different boards in, the service dept. is barking up the wrong tree. There are different kinds of boards and maybe a different kind would be beneficial? Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote