Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
tommyboy123

Boy aren't we the SA. Have a good one hope its nothing serious and don't forget to STRETCH
Old 01-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #22
tommyboy123

I failed to mention you are pretty funny and witty
Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #23
notanlines

I know everyone has been avoiding this, so I'll go ahead and get it over with. After driving for a long distance it is important to find a good "cramp site."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #24
Festus2
Site Team

I'm pretty close to 2000 miles from you in Memphis. Can you hear me moaning?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Mustard and pickle juice? Good grief! Mustard is to put on hot dogs and I can't think of use for pickle juice after all the pickles are gone. We dump it down the sink.

IF I were to take either one or both of these and had a leg cramp, I'd have to find a rest area and a toilet ASAP. Getting out of the truck and running to the toilet would be enough to get rid of the cramp. So maybe there is something to be said for this concoction after all.

I am also wondering what would happen when we cross the border from Canada into the US when asked at Customs, "What are you bringing in the way of food?" and I tell the guy or gal ----"Just a jar of mustard and pickle juice for leg cramps, sir." I can just imagine his response......"Pull over here, sir. We need to do an inspection".

I think I'll stop often, get out and walk around. If there is a hot dog stand nearby..... well, I might just get me one of those with plenty of mustard!

I am a biology major, and have a pharmacy background (work as roofer...)
I was curious about the mechanism of the mustard. Apparently the vinegar (acetic acid) triggers the body to produce acetylcholine which is a muscle relaxer. Also mustard contains selenium and magnesium, all of which work to reduce cramps.

Aaron
Old 01-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Aaron -
I was waiting for someone to post some kind of scientific, factual information about mustard and pickle juice and their ability to eliminate or reduce muscle cramping. Now that you've provided some validity to this concoction, I am trying to convince my wife to forego going out for dinner at our favourite restaurant and instead stay home and have.... you guessed it.....hotdogs and pickles!

Not making much progress with my wife but there is absolutely no way that I will be eating plain mustard and drinking pickle juice to avoid getting leg cramps.

The only time I cramp up is at 3 am in the morning and that is in spite of me having a banana at breakfast time, a selenium and magnesium citrate supplement at lunch and several large glasses of water throughout the day. Instead of running to the fridge and swallowing a spoonful of mustard washed down by pickle juice, I simply do a little dance by the bed. Seems to work and leaves no aftertaste in my mouth.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #27
tommyboy123

Festus you are one FUNNY DUDE
Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #28
wahoonc

Festus,

I get leg cramps on occasion, a packet of mustard knocks them out in minute or two, with no recurrence. I typically get them during the summer months when it is hard to keep hydrated.

Aaron
Old 01-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

Update ----
I lost. We're on our way to our favourite restaurant for dinner. On the drive there, if I feel any cramping, then I have one of Aaron's "packet of mustard" handy to "knock them down in a minute or two".
Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #30
wahoonc

BTW here is the link for the info on mustard vs cramps. Turns out it is good for some other things too. Ever hear of a mustard plaster?

Aaron
Old 01-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #31
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

ex-wife #2&4 used a wee bit of pickle juice in her potato salad.
We'd tote 5lbs. of 'tater salad to family events and that bowel
generally ended up clean before anyone else's. Come to think
about it she also put some yellow mustard in it as well, don't
remember any cramps afterwards .

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #32
gearhead

So the question is....mustard...Grey Poupon, Zatarains Creole, or just plain old French's????
LOL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #33
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
So the question is....mustard...Grey Poupon, Zatarains Creole, or just plain old French's????
LOL
Cheap yellow stuff... best bang for the buck.

Aaron
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #34
gearhead

So I could "pocket" a few plastic mustard pouches at the burger joint, put some on a banana, eat a pickle, chase that with some vinegar and call it done.
Side effects may include nausea, diarrhea, thirst, stroke, halitosis, and .... ?
Actually pickles are supposed to help with sea sickness as well.
Eat more pickles.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
Old 01-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

Cramping while driving

I HATE pickles!! But as a kid LOVED making 100 lbs of Dill pickles every year because of the fresh dill smell in the kitchen. Weird??

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #36
homer3

Glad some you find this funny, I for one do not.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #37
64tbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Aaron -
I was waiting for someone to post some kind of scientific, factual information about mustard and pickle juice and their ability to eliminate or reduce muscle cramping. Now that you've provided some validity to this concoction, I am trying to convince my wife to forego going out for dinner at our favourite restaurant and instead stay home and have.... you guessed it.....hotdogs and pickles!

Not making much progress with my wife but there is absolutely no way that I will be eating plain mustard and drinking pickle juice to avoid getting leg cramps.

The only time I cramp up is at 3 am in the morning and that is in spite of me having a banana at breakfast time, a selenium and magnesium citrate supplement at lunch and several large glasses of water throughout the day. Instead of running to the fridge and swallowing a spoonful of mustard washed down by pickle juice, I simply do a little dance by the bed. Seems to work and leaves no aftertaste in my mouth.
you would have to eat a boatload of bananas. Drink 8 oz of low sodium V8 every morning. It has 400mg of sodium in 8 oz serving. Recomended intake is around 4,000 mg including your diet. I worked const here in Az for over 20 yrs. Along with dehydration is loss of potassium. Low potassium levels will or can cause heart attack or stroke. A good friend had a stroke due to low potassium. He fully recovered. Last year I was in the hosp for like symptoms & they found very low potassium level. They pounded me with it and next day I had no symptoms. Tablets? Most Dr's call them "bedpan bullets" because your body does not absorb much. If not for the V8 I would get liquid vitamins. A few drops on the tongue and all is in your bloodstream now. Just some personal experience. I learned this years ago from seeing others suffer. I was a crane operator and was in the seat for 8/10 hrs a day for 21 yrs. suffered with leg cramps for years before figuring this out. Go to Webmd.com & read about the issues with low potassium. Hope everything goes well for you.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #38
homer3

Since I originated this post let me clarify - When driving the truck on long drives, it is the back of my right thigh (operational leg of gas pedal) that feels like it wants to cramp. Was out for a for a long drive earlier in the week and sure enough he happened again. Becoming far to often and far to predictable. This is not cramping in general. It is specific to to only this part of my body. Yes stopping and stretching helps, but not long before the symptoms reappear once back on the road. Any therapist or doctors out there that can suggest specific exercises to help strengthen this part of the body. Go to stat trying squats but seems like it is only for front part of thigh. thought about more bicycling, not really sure. Any suggestions. If pain continues I feel I may have to give up RVing.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
Old 04-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #39
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
Since I originated this post let me clarify - When driving the truck on long drives, it is the back of my right thigh (operational leg of gas pedal) that feels like it wants to cramp. Was out for a for a long drive earlier in the week and sure enough he happened again. Becoming far to often and far to predictable. This is not cramping in general. It is specific to to only this part of my body. Yes stopping and stretching helps, but not long before the symptoms reappear once back on the road. Any therapist or doctors out there that can suggest specific exercises to help strengthen this part of the body. Go to stat trying squats but seems like it is only for front part of thigh. thought about more bicycling, not really sure. Any suggestions. If pain continues I feel I may have to give up RVing.
Tried moving the seat up a bit? I drive a lot of long hauls in a variety of vehicles, electric seats that allow me to adjust while driving to provides a bit of relief are a godsend.

Aaron
Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #40
Festus2
Site Team

At this point, I think your best course of action is to pay a visit to your family doctor and see what comes out of that visit. He might refer you to a chiropractor or therapist or some other professional.

We are not about to dispense any medical advice here on an RV forum and the suggestions that were offered earlier were not meant to minimize your problem or to make fun of it. Sometimes, we get off track and "carried away" but I believe that no one intentionally meant to make light of your issue.

Again, I would suggest that you seek medical advice from professionals - they are the folks who know (or should know) what they are talking about. There is no sense in soliciting or offering that kind of advice here on the forum - we are not medical professionals - and we should not be offering suggestions about exercises for you to try to "help strengthen this part of the body".
Closed Thread