Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
b.d.m

Lack of Natural Light

Wasn't sure where this should be posted since it pertains to all RVs.

Coming from the boating world most trawler style boats have windows / port holes every where.

The wife and I rented a TT last summer and went to Michigan and had a blast. It was then that we started looking at buying something. Going to the shows over the winter i was shocked at how few trailers and 5th have large "picture windows".

That was a big point of contention with our purchasing decision. We want to dry camp out in the country side and want views if in doors. We purchased a 333MKS because it had the recliners in the back and a large window, and the sofa in the slide with a decent window and a dinette with a big widow.

I know its hard to insulate a window but adding a few more sqr in of window would make life much better..

2014 333 MKS
b.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
LuvsPalmTrees

I know what you mean - we found the Laredo 294RK. It has a beautiful large picture window (which sold my DH on it) and windows on the side of the slides. It also has 2 large windows behind the dinette and the Sofa. I know it does not have the same layout as the 333MKS but it does have a lot of natural light.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
GaryWT

There are days we do not open the shades as we have the ultimate in window outside. We go out in the morning to make the coffee and sit outside and we go back in after we put the fire out to go to bed. Never get a chance to look out a window.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

While having more natural light and a large picture window may be beneficial for providing a better view to the great outdoors, it also has a disadvantage. Because of its low insulating qualities, it doesn't do much to keep the unit "warm and cozy" in cold weather camping or cool in hot temperatures.

While the windows in some RV's claim to be double-paned glass, they offer little in the way of insulation.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
byrdr1

I thought he couldn't find any beer..
darn that would be tough!
sorry I'm gone..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
While the windows in some RV's claim to be double-paned glass, they offer little in the way of insulation.
Mine don't "claim" to double panes....they definitely are. How much that adds to insulation value has been much discussed.

But to be fair....the walls in many RV's also offer little in the way of insulation.

Our Laredo has a pile of windows on both sides, the slides, and the back, and we like it that way.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Javi

I will never understand women... the DW loves all the windows especially the big picture windows but keeps the day/night shades drawn closed 24/7. If I open one to look out I'm immediately bombarded with "someone is gonna see in" or "shut that blind you're letting in too much light"
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Didn't even care about the windows when we bought our Alpine. We had the big picture window on our last RV, but since the living room doubles as a bedroom for the kids the blinds always stayed closed. The cat does like it when we open one for her during the day, but since she doesn't make any payments I'm not that concerned about her opinion.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
dandjh1958

A big back picture window is why my DH picked out our Hideout. Other trailers had a more spacious layout but he could envision sitting in the rocker, in front of the big picture window, watching life go by.
It's very nice except when gale force winds blow on the Oregon coast and I can see the whole thing flex.
Also, the vent holes at the bottom of the window allow water in when the wind blows bad. I have to place painters tape (sticky but not too sticky) over the holes on the outside so the water doesn't blow in.
It tends to cloud up with all the salt air blowing on it. BUT, other than that, it's always bright and shiny inside the trailer and I love mornings where the water is reflecting inside the trailer and our whole living area sparkles. Life doesn't get much nicer!!

Happy camping!!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Stolen picture

I "acquired" this cartoon from a recent blog post of another member. Seems "fitting" for this thread.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIG WINDOW.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6529  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I "acquired" this cartoon from a recent blog post of another member. Seems "fitting" for this thread.....
Why did they leave their fire unnateneded? Don't they have a fireplace inside their trailer????

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
pjhansman

too many fair weather campers here I guess...

Its 55 degrees and raining in northern Michigan. I think I'll sit inside and look out the windows
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
LuvsPalmTrees

Although we have the Laredo with the windows - we are outside most of the time. The windows are great when it is just to cold to be out or just to wet.

2013 Laredo 294RK (aka The Beast)
Chris (DH)
Molly the camping pooch
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
koko

b.d.m.
We, too, love lots of light and windows. Our camper has a lot of windows, but we wanted more. We put a clear fantastic fan in the bathroom over the tub (nice to look out when showering and see the trees above) and replaced our frosted door window with what is called an EdWin. It is simply an entry door window that is clear. It was inexpensive and easy to install. Because the door side of the bed doesn't have a window because of the awning bar, it also allows us another view of the great outdoors when we have to be inside. The EdWin also opens, so at night we can have our door closed and locked but still have added ventilation.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote