Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2024, 05:52 AM   #1
swthurmond

Replacing outlets with combo usb charger/outlet

Is there any reason I cannot change out the standard AC outlets with those that also have USB charging ports as part of the outlet?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
swthurmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:20 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Since RV outlets use a different method of attaching the romex, if your replacing an outlet that’s in the middle of a circuit, you may not have enough slack in the romex to keep the entire circuit live.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:27 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, RV outlets are a self contained outlet. In other words, the outlet is a "box with a back cover" which protects the wiring connections from shorting out behind the outlet. A conventional "S&B" outlet requires an outlet box to protect the back side of the outlet which has "exposed live contacts" that can short out and cause damage or possibly a fire.

So, if you're using "S&B outlets with USB ports" as a replacement for the self contained RV outlet fixtures, be sure to consider the depth of the wall in which you're installing them as you'll need "shallow depth old work boxes" to install in the wall to protect the exposed terminals on your new outlet fixtures. Some duplex outlets with USB ports are too deep to fit in a "shallow depth old work box"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:10 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

As noted, RV outlets are self-boxing and inline on the Romex.

Basically, they strip a few inches of the outer sheathing from the Romex, spread out the individual conductors, press the wires into a "V" shaped blade inside without stripping or cutting the wires, snap the back on, and move to the next outlet in line.

That being said, I have something like 18 USB ports inside my camper (don't ask me why so many), but the only place there wasn't one was on the outside. I had a standard weatherproof outlet on the exterior wall under the refrigerator and above the furnace. So I removed the outlet (it was at the end of the line) added an old-work box, and then wired in a duplex outlet with twin USB ports, reinstalled the weather cover and we have been good.

The only caveat to all of this is that the inside USB outlets are wired to the 12v DC system and work 100% of the time. The ones that are integral to the duplex outlets only work if there is 120v AC power.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:20 AM   #5
B-O-B'03

I added 2 outlets to our trailer that have USB ports on them, rather than replacing the originals.
I felt the trailer was kind of shy on outlets any way.

For the one near the entry door I used one of the blue "old work" boxes and tied into the outlet on the outside wall for power.

The outlet in the pantry wall was just mounted to the plywood, which is actually part of a double wall chase way and wired it right into the power distribution center.

-Brian
Old 03-21-2024, 07:22 AM   #6
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also, RV outlets are a self contained outlet. In other words, the outlet is a "box with a back cover" which protects the wiring connections from shorting out behind the outlet. A conventional "S&B" outlet requires an outlet box to protect the back side of the outlet which has "exposed live contacts" that can short out and cause damage or possibly a fire.

So, if you're using "S&B outlets with USB ports" as a replacement for the self contained RV outlet fixtures, be sure to consider the depth of the wall in which you're installing them as you'll need "shallow depth old work boxes" to install in the wall to protect the exposed terminals on your new outlet fixtures. Some duplex outlets with USB ports are too deep to fit in a "shallow depth old work box"....
John is correct. I just looked at a wall outlet with integral USB ports and it is about 1-1/2 the depth of a standard duplex outlet. You could look for a surface mount box of some sort to accommodate the outlet with USB ports.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by swthurmond View Post
Is there any reason I cannot change out the standard AC outlets with those that also have USB charging ports as part of the outlet?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
I use one similar to this one: No wiring required. Remember that the multi-outlets are feeding off one circuit so don't overload by plugging in your coffee pot, hair dryer and use them all at once. I use mine for connection to my laptop and keep my cell phone charged; it is behind our dining table.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Prote...21&sr=8-1&th=1
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:22 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

The other option is to use a shallow old work box and then install a box extender to it. This will provide a stard depth box but the box extender will protrude from the wall. Many trailers were done this way from the factory to place a GFCI outlet in the bathroom.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:01 AM   #9
swthurmond

Thank you for all the sage advice!! I guess I should have looked at the back of the outlet first. I think I may go the added box route as opposed to trying to replace the current outlets. I found some online but of course they are white and I need brown...

I think the direct 12 volt may be the best. We have enough outlets for A/C but only two USB charger outlets. I will update with pictures when completed.

Thanks again for all the information.
swthurmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:14 AM   #10
LHaven

Given how easy it is to plug an add-on multiplier with USB outlets (like wiredgeorge's) into an existing socket, the only reason I ever found to add an actual USB outlet (actually, a "cigarette lighter" and USB outlet) was to have a socket that was live off the battery without shore power, for my CPAP. Otherwise, the multipliers are the bee's knees.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:26 AM   #11
paklein58

I added a couple of these to my outlets. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Gave me an extra plug plus 2 USB outlets. Just be sure to get one where the USB outlets can charge at the higher rate of 2.4 amps.
paklein58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:21 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Similar to the above post, we added several of these in choice locations. We used Velcro and attached them to the wall to save shelf space. They work great.

Click here.

In other areas of the camper where we needed extra plugs we added these. They are also hard screwed to the wall or to the top of a fixture: Click here.

Using these requires no electrical modifications to the camper and creates a simple and clean way to fulfill a need with minimal effort.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:06 PM   #13
rlh1957

I replaced several RV cheap receptacles with proper Leviton outlets. Sometimes you have to do some modifications. I've even replaced some Romex runs because factory installed wiring was hokey and short.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets, usb