Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #1
Mitch0331

Goosebox and offset ball - short bed truck

Hi All,

For anyone using a goosebox in a short bed truck especially Ram with puck system;

Are you using a regular ball? Any issues with clearance?
If using offset ball, which one?

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with 6' 4" bed.

I've been looking at the Gen Y goosepuck system but wondering if an offset ball is necessary?
https://genyhitch.com/product/goosepuck/
Mitch0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
jsb5717

I don't have a Goosebox but it sounds like what you're trying to achieve is greater distance from the trailer to the back of the truck cab since you have a mega-cab/short box truck.

When we had a short box truck it had the B&W goose ball. They also make a set-back ball. I used the set-back with our Demco Recon hitch to accomplish the same thing as you. It worked great for us. However, keep in mind that moving the ball slightly behind the truck axle will increase the bounce factor by shifting weight a little to the rear. With air bags we could mitigate that bounce and achieve a comfortable ride. This might not be a big issue with your dually and the size of your trailer.

I never wanted a heavy, bulky sliding hitch so this solution worked well for us. We never had a problem hitting the back of our cab (with or without the set-back) by always keeping an eye on it in tighter turns.

There are always trade-offs but this one served us well.

Simple reality is that a long-bed truck solves the distance problem. We got a dually and love it as I'm sure you do. Can't see going back to a SRW short box.

All of that to answer your question. Is a set-back necessary? No. Can it be helpful? Yes. It's up to you to pay attention in tighter turns either way, but a set-back will gain you additional leeway in the turns.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
Mitch0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
I don't have a Goosebox but it sounds like what you're trying to achieve is greater distance from the trailer to the back of the truck cab.

When we had a short box truck it had the B&W goose ball. They also make a set-back ball. I used the set-back with our Demco Recon hitch to accomplish the same thing as you. It worked great for us. However, keep in mind that moving the ball slightly behind the truck axle will increase the bounce factor by shifting weight a little to the rear. With air bags we could mitigate that bounce and achieve a comfortable ride.

I never wanted a heavy, bulky sliding hitch so this solution worked well for us. We never had a problem hitting the back of our cab (with or without the set-back) by always keeping an eye on it in tighter turns.

There are always trade-offs but this one served us well.

Simple reality is that a long-bed truck solves the distance problem and provides a better ride. We got a dually and love it. Can't see going back to a SRW short box.
Yes, I am considering additional clearance.

My understanding is the B&W offset ball doesn't fit into the factory puck system? Did you have change out to the turnover ball system?
This is why I am looking at the Gen Y goosepuck as it mounts in the puck system.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch0331 View Post
Yes, I am considering additional clearance.

My understanding is the B&W offset ball doesn't fit into the factory puck system? Did you have change out to the turnover ball system?
This is why I am looking at the Gen Y goosepuck as it mounts in the puck system.
No, my truck was a 2012 so no puck system. It had the B&W installed instead. But the net result of what we're talking about is the same by using the Gen-Y set back.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 09:11 AM   #5
Mitch0331

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:28 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Mitch0331

While it may not affect your specific application, keep in mind that by moving the hitch point 5" aft, you also effectively move the trailer pinbox superstructure 5" aft. In some trucks, that doesn't matter, but in other rigs, that's enough "aft shift" to cause the pinbox to contact the tailgate and/or to contact any "add-on storage container" such as the "sidewall swing away storage boxes" that are popular with some fifth wheel owners. One solution (and I'd suspect a reasonable one) is to add a "fifth wheel tailgate" with the cutout center area, which helps reduce the risk of the pinbox structure coming close to the OEM tailgate.

One "good thing" with adding that extra "aft clearance" is that you get 5" more space between the tail gate and the fifth wheel front storage compartment door. While I don't have that space, on my rig, I only have about 4" between the open tailgate and the trailer. That makes hitching an almost "straight in shot" or there's a risk of the tailgate hitting the trailer.

So, don't only consider what you're gaining "in front of the trailer nose" but also consider what you might gain (or lose) behind the hitch as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:28 PM   #7
Mitch0331

Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I'll check out the measurements from ball to tailgate.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:59 PM   #8
CUTiger80

I would suggest joining the Goosebox Owners Facebook page and submit this question. You’ll probably find more people with the experience that you are looking for.
CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:53 AM   #9
Brown cat

Quote:
Hi All,

For anyone using a goosebox in a short bed truck especially Ram with puck system;

I've been looking at the Gen Y goosepuck system but wondering if an offset ball is necessary?
We have Chevy with standard bed which has a roll up bed cover.We had pros install a B & W turnover ball in the bed. We removed the king pin from our FR Cardinal and our Keystone Cougar and installed the Reese Goosebox. The only issue we have had is the rail for the bed cover made it necessary to raise the height adjustment on the goosebox 2"

We have a ranch and use livestock trailers, which have goose neck instead of king pin. When we decided to go fifth wheel instead of bumper pull it made sense to go the goosebox change. The cost to install the fifth wheel hitch compared to the goosebox was almost the same, because we already had the B&W turnover ball installed for the livestock trailer.
The advantage we have found is we do not have to man handle the fifth wheel hitch when we need the bed for other things, we just flip the goose ball over. We also do not have to find storage place for the fifth wheel hitch when not in use. We also have more room in the bed of the truck, when the trailer is hooked up, for spare tire, leveling blocks, tools, etc.
Reese Goose Box
Brown cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:14 AM   #10
tallen

Quote:
Hi All,

check out this video this guy did.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed