Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2023, 11:00 PM   #1
Tonyt2293

Bullet 250bhs coupler height

So I'm waiting on delivery of my unit but trying to order up my weight distribution hitch and need to know what the height of the coupler is when the trailer is level so I can order the correct weight safe anyone have one they can check for me or if they know it off hand thanks
Tonyt2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:21 AM   #2
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyt2293 View Post
So I'm waiting on delivery of my unit but trying to order up my weight distribution hitch and need to know what the height of the coupler is when the trailer is level so I can order the correct weight safe anyone have one they can check for me or if they know it off hand thanks
Your trailer's Hitch Weight is 715 lbs. so a 800lb WDH will work. They are all hitch height adjustable so the height should not effect your decision on the hitch package you buy unless you have a lifted truck and will need to drop it more than a standard height tow vehicle.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:19 AM   #3
Max23

What your pulling with will make a difference so finding your answer is important. Sorry to say I don't know the answer but don't be like me and have to buy 2 different shanks. I originally got a standard shank, (4 inch drop I think?). Upgraded truck and had to get an 8 inch drop. Not cheap. So yes, get your measurements first or just wait until u have it to buy.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 05:29 AM   #4
TXiceman

You cannot go by the hitch weight in the brochure. That is a dry hitch weight and is useless. Use 12 to 15% of the trailers GVWR for a loaded hitch weight.

Your loaded hitch weight will be around 850 to 950 LB. The brochure hitch weight most likely is less battery and propane.

Ken
Old 08-03-2023, 06:09 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you’re looking for the height from the ground to the top of the coupler with the trailer level, 22” will get you close enough to set it up prior to picking up your trailer. Then you can fine tune if needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The "brochure weights" are specific to an empty trailer with NO battery and NO propane in the tanks (per Keystone comfirmation email). What that means to you is that the "shipping weight of the trailer" and the "tongue weight in the brochure" are NEVER going to be realized when you tow your trailer.

When you add a couple of GP27 batteries (100 pounds) and fill the two 20 pound propane tanks (40 pounds) all of which "sits on the tongue A-frame", that 715 pound tongue weight suddenly becomes much closer to 855 pounds, and that is WITHOUT ANY CAMPING GEAR OR CARGO OR FOOD in the trailer.

So, buying an 800 pound rated hitch may well leave you "over the hitch rating" for weight distribution. You actual tongue weight will be closer to 900 pounds with the empty trailer and potentially in the 1000-1100 pound range for the trailer "loaded for a camping trip"....

Trailer GVWR is 7400 pounds and most trailers have a tongue weight between 11-15% of total trailer weight, depending on loading and more importantly, depending on the load configuration that gives you the best controllability when towing. So, the "calculated/anticipated tongue weight" will be in the 11-15%. At GVWR, that's 908 - 1110 pound range.

Depending on your tow vehicle, towing a trailer that large may "need a hitch with built in sway control and maximum weight distribution capability".... I wouldn't "buy the smallest hitch that fits the "shipping weights" ......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet