Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
locomech

Truck Stops...

I just returned from a trip to Colorado. This was my first long haul trip with my new Passport. My question is when pulling into a truck stop like Pilot or Flying J and they don't have specific RV lanes is it permissible to use the truck lanes? Some of these truck stops are pretty tight when using the automobile pumps and getting in or out can be challenging for a noob like me. I'm not sure if one needs a special account to activate the pumps in the truck lanes, and I don't want to get the truckers upset at me for being somewhere I don't belong.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
hankaye

locomech, Howdy;

If you feel that you truly need to use the Big truck pumps there is a form of
etiquette that you should be aware of;
* The nozzles are larger and will pump greater quantities of fuel at greater
volumes PAY ATTENTION!
* When done pull ahead to allow the next truck in line to pull in and get started
while you finish your transaction (having to go inside for a receipt for example).
* Don't dwaddle ... when you are finished find a parking space (Not one for
commercial trucks), go around to the front and park in an RV spot or out of the
way of other customers.
In other words, be considerate, THINK and most of all be considerate...

There is generally room for RV's you just need to take your time and explore
the options. Study the layout and use it to your advantage.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
johnm

I use the truck pumps all the time when traveling but I have a diesel truck. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a truck lane with gas. I'm sure they're there but I've never seen one ... granted I've never looked either.
johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
bobbecky

Other things to be aware of are, some areas have a different price for commercial truck diesel, and also some locations have no-tax diesel for off-road agricultural use, this fuel is red dyed, and you will pay a hefty fine if you are caught with red color in your tank's fuel. We are in Indiana right now, and several stations have only no-tax diesel fuel, I think for the Amish that do not have electric in their homes or shops, but use the diesel to power air compressors to power the air tools used in furniture making and other things.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
hankaye

Howdy All;

Never saw a gas nozzle in the commercial lanes either doesn't
mean they aren't there, just my personal observation.

The Amish won't use generators or compressors either, unless
it comes with a farm or property they buy, they use compressed
air tanks (look like tall oxygen bottles), and when the tractors
and other stuff that use fuel to operate run out they hitch-up a
team of horses and drag it to the gate then hang a For Sale sign on it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
I just returned from a trip to Colorado. This was my first long haul trip with my new Passport. My question is when pulling into a truck stop like Pilot or Flying J and they don't have specific RV lanes is it permissible to use the truck lanes? Some of these truck stops are pretty tight when using the automobile pumps and getting in or out can be challenging for a noob like me. I'm not sure if one needs a special account to activate the pumps in the truck lanes, and I don't want to get the truckers upset at me for being somewhere I don't belong.
I too have wondered about the "special" account at the pumps. I know they don't take AMEX there... Is there a special requirement to get a fleet card that would work at the pumps? Is there one that works at all truck stops?

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
outwest

I use the truck pumps all the time (tow vehicle is diesel). A few out there have pay at the pump, but most you have to go in. When you go in to cashier, they'll ask for company name, etc. Just tell 'em "private / non-commercial". When filling up, some will want to hold the card, others will want a dollar amount to get approval on card for. If you end up pumping less than the $ you tell 'em, that's all they'll charge to your card.

Like already mentioned, the flow rate at those pumps is much higher. So, listen to your tank when filling and when gets close, slow it down unless you want a whole bunch of fuel splashing back out at ya.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

When we went on our cross country trip in '09 we used truck stops as often as we could. No special account/card to activate the pump.

We did follow the etiquette described above. You can get a"fuel card" from Flying J that allows you to skip going inside to pay and you get "rewards". We paid cash so I would pull forward and then pay.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
Desert185

Most truckers like my dog, which seems to increase their level of tolerance for a "pilgrim RV'er" at the truck pumps. Charlie is a great ambassador everywhere we go.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
thewhitehat

I wish I could use my dog as an ambassador! He's a jack russell with a chip on his shoulder, so I doubt he would endear me to the truckers. He already went to the doggie big-house for 10 days for biting someone who was trying to pet him. Got a prison tatoo too!
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Williston324

When towing we use Pilot/Flying J as much as possible. Their RV Plus Charge Card is so convenient to use at the pump (we always use the truck pumps when hooked up) and also gives you 6 cents off the posted cash price. The truck side also have air hoses at each pump. Using the card also allows you to park after pumping. No pulling ahead, stopping, running inside to pay then back out to park. We park out back with the trucks and have never had a problem. Most drivers are friendly and usually have a positive comment or at least a friendly nod.

Most locations are also travel centers and have a well stocked store, clean restrooms and a chain fast food restaurant. With all their conveniences we don't mind if they are a few cents higher in price - which usually isn't the case after the discount.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williston324 View Post
When towing we use Pilot/Flying J as much as possible. Their RV Plus Charge Card is so convenient to use at the pump (we always use the truck pumps when hooked up) and also gives you 6 cents off the posted cash price. The truck side also have air hoses at each pump. Using the card also allows you to park after pumping. No pulling ahead, stopping, running inside to pay then back out to park. We park out back with the trucks and have never had a problem. Most drivers are friendly and usually have a positive comment or at least a friendly nod.

Most locations are also travel centers and have a well stocked store, clean restrooms and a chain fast food restaurant. With all their conveniences we don't mind if they are a few cents higher in price - which usually isn't the case after the discount.
X2 ... It is not a credit card and must be paid in full each month but there is no fee and makes life on the road much easier .... also half price on dumping and discounts on propane. I have been planing my trips with fuel stops at FlyingJ for over 20 years. Now that it is Pilot/FlyingJ the card is good at both.
JM2˘, Hank (I'm not sure but there may be an additional discount for Good Sam)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
gearhead

I guess I will have to look into the FlyingJ card. I've tried to use truck stops twice. The first time I got so PO'ed I drove off. Every lane I got in the attendant would close it when I got to be next in line.
The next time I had to go inside and interpret the language....no I'm not driving a 18wheeler, I just need some diesel. What do I have to do?
The diesel was 40 cents above what I could buy at a name brand traditional station. The diesel fuel was spilled everywhere and as usual stank to high heaven.
Nevertheless I know I will have to use a truck stop again, eventually, unfortunately.
I'm about to the point I would unhitch so I can get in a regular station.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #14
allmi01

I have used truck stop for fueling for years also. The only state I know of that you need to avoid the truck pumps is Indiana as they usually have those setup for their 3 axle exempt pricing only. No IFTA number, no fuel at those pumps. It didn't used to be an issue but a few years ago the state cracked down on fuel stations so they are picky.

As other have stated, when you finish fueling, pull ahead so the next rig in line can start fueling while you pay your bill. Try not to hold up traffic as with the new hours of service laws, the truck drivers need to make as many miles as they can in the limited hours they can be in-service (on the clock). They folks get paid by miles driven, not hourly.

Mike
Old 09-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
locomech

Thanks to all...

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and comments. Since my truck uses gasoline I think I'll just stay out of the commercial truck lanes. When I fuel up I swipe my card and promptly vacate the lane after finishing. It would be nice if everyone using the auto lanes would adopt the same etiquette as the truck lanes, as it would speed things up for all.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
racin500

Flying J / Pilot Card

I've got the FJ/Pilot card but I works differently depending on the station.

So far, out front, it works like a credit card and no need to go inside.

Special RV lanes at some FJ/Pilot's (not the regular out front lanes) the card worked but I had to go inside for a receipt. The screen was also very hard to understand. Wasn't even sure the card worked until I went inside.

Truck lanes are hit and miss. Not every location takes the card at the pump.

RV lanes (when available) usually offer diesel and gas but people in cars tend to plug them up, going inside to shop and leaving their car at the pump!

My co-pilot's job is to look for the RV signs and keep ME from getting in a tight spot!
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
gearhead

There is an app for iPhones for "MyPilot" that gives a lot of info. I just checked the price of the one close to me. Diesel $3.79. I paid $3.35 at a gas station this week. No wonder transportations costs are so high.
I'm sorry for being so negative about it, I'll get off my soapbox.....
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

I have found that when you take the 6-8˘ discount from the CASH price at FJ/Pilot their price is competitive. Air, water, dump station and RV parking with a decent place to eat without making another stop is a big plus for me.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #19
billandjan

Some of the truck stops I've stopped at, you can't pay at the pump. You have to go inside, and wait in line for what seems like an eternity. Some of them you have to go inside to pre-authorize the pump, so that's two trips inside.
billandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
Williston324

Billandjan - that's why we got the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus charge card. Out front or in the back it's pay (charge) at the pump. No pre authorization required. You can gas and go if an inside visit isn't required.