Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Seems to me that if you can make it through the first 6 months or year with an RV, it'll usually be OK for the duration. Most of the "big problems" seem to show up pretty quickly and usually that's within the warranty period. Now, whether it gets fixed or just covered up by repair work is something that's different with every service department.

As others have commented, we tend to "blame Keystone" for component failure when really, it's the component provider that has the problem. As with frames, we blame Keystone (and to an extent we should) when really it's Lippert that has the issue. Without defending Keystone, what are they to do? There are no other frame manufacturers who can deliver in the quantities that Keystone (really Thor) needs. They can "hold Lippert responsible" and push for improvement, but realistically, they either use what's available or stop production. If it's a safety issue, they should stop using the product, but if it's a cosmetic or functional issue, it would be "nice" if they protected us, but at the cost of going out of business? I don't know where to draw that line in the sand. Like David said, nothing's perfect..... would be nice if it were, but ain't happenin' so it seems.....

Like you, David, I tend to just fix things and move on. It's easier that way, less time for me, less hassle, and way less wonder if it was done right or not. Sometimes I wonder if by doing that, we might be giving the manufacturer's "bean counters" a false sense that all is good because there are no problems to track...... Hmmmmm, a double edged sword, I'm sure, but I'd still rather not have the time and expense of running back to the dealer every time a screw is loose just so Keystone's warranty department can track trends.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
Pmedic4

Quality Inspection and hope for better

I've trading in a RV, that from all outward appearances is a quality unit with all the amenities, solid surface counters and tables, quality appliances, and extra features such as electric stabilizers jacks and tongue jack. However, during the first year, the lower siding skirt pulled away from the upper siding. Then the Dinette bench could not even hold a normal sized adult leaning back, the collapsible dining table wobbles, and the sofa is missing 1/2 the screws to bolt it down, and 1 is stripped out.

Overall, it appeared well made, but just the stupid stuff coming apart is frustrating!

I'm hoping my new Cougar is a better quality.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote