Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2024, 07:43 AM   #1
RunningWild

Worth and Value

We’re looking at a pretty rough toy hauler that is on consignment. It’s very dirty, upholstery needs replacing, musty, cabinets don’t align, underbelly has been worked on, peeling clear coat on cap, etc. And we didn’t even run all the systems yet.

After running all the systems I’d like to make a cash offer. If the systems seem to run as should, what should I offer? The unit is a 2015 and priced a little north of $50k.

We’re thinking of starting around $38k and asking for a few minor things, one being a gooseneck conversion and just some tidying of wires that are hanging.
RunningWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:52 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

A 2015 what? "Toy hauler" is a very generic broad term. That's like saying you're looking to buy a 2015 truck, is it a stripped down mini truck or a Peterbuilt?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
Camping family

Myself that price is very high. Your talking a lot of work needs to be done and unless you can do it all yourself that’s expensive. Underbelly needing work along with a musty smell could mean it had leaks which means rotten wood. Maybe slides if so not just anyone can remove one for repairs if needed. I would continue looking and for that amount you will find one in better shape. Just my 2 cents worth.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:11 AM   #4
RunningWild

It’s a Raptor 412 so not bare bones but not top of the line.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:12 AM   #5
RunningWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Myself that price is very high. Your talking a lot of work needs to be done and unless you can do it all yourself that’s expensive. Underbelly needing work along with a musty smell could mean it had leaks which means rotten wood. Maybe slides if so not just anyone can remove one for repairs if needed. I would continue looking and for that amount you will find one in better shape. Just my 2 cents worth.
Got a good price in mind? I can fix just about anything, I’ve fully remodeled houses and such.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:39 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Remodeling houses and "rebuilding RV's" are two entirely different mindsets. First, you can't use "house materials" (cheaper and readily available) because of the weight. RV components carry a premium price and the same "amount of repair" is usually closer to double the cost that it would be in a house.

Then, there's the "unknown factors" in a "trashed fifth wheel".... What will you find when you "wipe the lipstick off the pig" ????? Freeze damage? Water/flooding damage? Mold ? Bent/cracked frame? and the list could go on for pages.....

JD Power lists the average retail for a used Raptor 412TS IN GOOD CONDITION at $49,350
https://www.jdpower.com/rvs/2015/key...6538329/values

I'd be reluctant to take on that kind of "rebuild of a fifth wheel" without a VERY EXTENSIVE inspection of just what condition the actual "bones" are in....

From your description, I'd guess the actual "as is value" would be significantly below the average retail of $49K, probably closer to $30 ???? That's a WAG based on trying to assess the unknown damages you're almost guaranteed to find once it's in your driveway.....

ADDED: Just an afterthought: Is it possible this trailer was either in Houston or some other place that had flooding in the past year or so? If it was, then it may be a "reclaimed insurance writeoff" which lowers the value even further.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:50 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I can fix most anything as well and the value of that with what you know definitively at the moment would be zero.

"Musty"? Sounds like either it's been flooded or water penetration from leaks.

Misaligned cabinets? Is that frame damage? Broken wall welds?

Underbelly "worked" on? Did they have leak issues? Rotted floors from water intrusion etc.?

The peeling clearcoat comes from a general lack of maintenance and I would suspect that is the case with the entire trailer. Repairing that clearcoat isn't like throwing on a new coat of paint in a house.

Lots of stuff to consider if you are really thinking about it. As was mentioned the costs for RV materials have no resemblance to sticks and bricks materials. And....what's inside once you start? Thought I'd take on a boat once - seemed easy enough to replace the seats, their supports/benches, some of the cockpit....every piece I removed exposed more and more destroyed components. Kept tearing out and when I got to the rotted transom I threw in the towel, threw all the pieces from it inside and took it to a fellow that had a yard full of old vehicles and junk; gave him the boat and trailer and drove away. Beware of what you are getting into.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 12:07 PM   #8
jsb5717

If you're a handy guy (sounds like you are) then it's easy to look at something and think..."I can fix that". I tend to be like that so I get it. You want to find a good deal and fix what's damaged. Nothing wrong with that.

But, as stated, there's a lot of room for caution before taking on a project like that. Cosmetics? Sure...fairly easy to do for a handy guy. Water damage? Different story. That will require a lot of investigation. I wouldn't hesitate to take on a cosmetic challenge. But water damage would scare me a bit.

So be cautious, know your limitations, inspect closely, and be willing to walk away. If it's fixable then $50k is WAY too much. The $30k above sound more realistic for damaged goods.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 01:40 PM   #9
dutchmensport

The musty (mold) smell would be enough to drive me away from this camper. It's had water intrusion inside the walls and / or under the floor or even the roof. It's not cosmetic only. It's serious, and will take some serious work to make it right... Time and money and workmanship.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:42 PM   #10
notanlines

Using the somewhat accepted ten percent rule , your price should be about $34,000. That is with everything working in good condition. Under the circumstances I’d say John’s 30k down to about 24k would be fair. Everything better work. You’ve got a lot of work ahead of you.
One possible sore spot: What’s your tow vehicle?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #11
RunningWild

Thank you to everyone for your input. We’ll be using this rig for a family of 4 w/a large dog, hence the TH, and be going full time. We have a lot to think about but like these types of units for our lifestyle. We like the idea of the garage for kids toys, the dog, and closing the door on it all when wanted.

It sounds like there is quite of bit of wiggle room at the moment for RV’s. I’m guessing that sales must be slow? Hopefully cash is king if I can find the right rig.

This unit wasn’t too bad, I don’t think. I probably made it sound worse than it is. It seemed to have been closed up for a while and that’s what we contributed the musty smell. It wasn’t dank and moldy smelling, just a bit stinky. Not like a basement, more like a stuffy closet. I would do a thorough inspection for water damage prior to buying though. Any good checklists for that? I looked under the mattreses and the wood was clean, no staining or mildew. This is a California located unit so I doubt it flooded if it stayed local. I can ask. He said the roof was in good shape and it appeared to be so when I climbed the ladder. I’ve owned serval RV’s and this roof looked good. We’d recaulk any penetrations just to start off fresh.

Couches can and would be replaced. Cabinets can be adjusted. A new front-cap paint job looks to be in the $1500-$2000 range, I’d also look at getting it wrapped. I’d do new tires to the tune of $1500. I’d want a good frame inspection as well.

We’re still looking and not sold on any one in particular. We have 1-2 months before we have to buy.

Any decent 1year warranty we could buy for an emergency or are they not worth it? I figure we could shake most of the bugs out yr 1.

Our tow vehicle is a Ram 5500 w/Cummins.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:28 PM   #12
jsb5717

Depending on how far you're willing to travel to get a TH there are several on the market in the $50k range that don't need all that work. In ready-to-go condition the one you're looking at might be worth $50k-ish.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:04 AM   #13
jasin1

I’d be cautious….Being dirty and musty and all of the other issues you point out makes it seem like prior owner was rough on the rv…you say the underbelly was worked on also which could mean they didn’t winterize it properly or had holding tank issues….Your profile says Colorado so if the rv is located out West i’d be concerned if the previous owner dragged it down off-road trails for boondocking…seems pretty popular out west to go off grid….id look the suspension over really really good and also look for signs of frame flex…ask if you can lower the pin box to your truck hitch and see if any movement occurs…

When i go to eat at a new restaurant or carry out i always look at the front windows and door of the establishment…if they are really dirty and haven’t been cleaned in a while or the floor is really dirty i walk back out…if they can’t bother to clean what you see then i can only imagine they aren’t cleaning the kitchen either.

Seems like the prior owner didn’t care what the “front of the restaurant” looked like…wonder what kind of maintenance they skipped if they couldn’t even be bothered with cleaning it
Old 03-11-2024, 05:07 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

That is a huge 5th wheel; 42' and 18K lbs fully loaded. It is a must to have a dually to move it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:38 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Running Wild, not to be cute but I would wildy run away from that trailer. $50k for a 9 to 10 yr old trailer in that condition? No way, but that's my opinion. Musty is another term for moldy. Cabinet issues are either abuse or lack of maintenance. For that kind of money I'd expect it to be in great condition. Normal (appropriate) wear but not neglect. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:55 AM   #16
rhagfo

Our first 5th wheel, was a basket case when we bought it. Paid $1,000 for a 1986 King of the Road 28’ rear kitchen no slides. Last 6’ of floor was mush, tin siding. Well replaced 6’ of floor, half of framing on rear wall, 1/3 of drivers side wall for that 6’, and a bit of lower wall framing on passenger side. Once done nice 5th wheel, but glad it wasn’t a laminated side wall 5th wheel. We also didn’t spend $50k on it, just you can’t see what you can’t see.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:57 AM   #17
Peto

Run away. You want to spend your time enjoying your rig not cussing it because when you opened stuff up it was worse than expected.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:24 AM   #18
Raptor Dave

Holy crap....
I can't believe you would even consider such a deal!
We got our 2023 Raptor 352 brand new off the dealer lot for 84K.
Not sure where you're located but I would definitely be shopping around for a different trailer.
The used market is loaded right now and getting ready open up even more with the season right around the corner.
Good luck

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote