Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2024, 11:59 PM   #1
MrKABC

202QBWE - Installing an RVLovent Roof Vent Fan

Hello folks:

I finally got around to installing my RVLovent 10 speed remote controlled bathroom fan today. The 4" fan that came with the trailer couldn't vent a PC case, much less do anything to move air in a travel trailer. I'm not sorry to hurl the OG fan into the trash.

Installation isn't that hard, just a bit tedious, but worth the effort!

TOOLS NEEDED:
  • Nylon scraping tool
  • WAGO connectors (2), 3 port
  • Butyl Tape
  • Wire cutter/stripper
  • Square bit driver, preferably on a power drill
  • Phillips screwdriver
  • DICOR, self leveling sealant tubes (2)
  • Caulking gun for DICOR
  • Plastic cutting implement

INSTRUCTIONS:

Begin inside the TT. Use square bit driver to remove four trim screws from ceiling bezel. Pull bezel and set aside. Use Phillips screwdriver to remove hatch knob, and then snap out the inner trim panel. It will hang by two wires that are connected to your 12v source. Cut off the crimped on wire nuts, and load the TT wires into your WAGO connectors. White is (-), red is (+). This will free up the inner trim panel now for removal.

Access the TT roof, *usual safety lecture here* and begin scraping DICOR from the metal mounting bracket using your nylon scraping tool. CAREFUL - it's easy to gouge the EPDM. A sunny day helps, it makes the DICOR tacky. You want to expose the 28 square head screws holding the OEM fan to your roof deck.

Remove all 28 screws, and try not to think about all of the holes that are in your roof. Gently pull each side, using your nylon scraper to assist the DICOR in letting go. The vent fan should pull free if you are careful. Set aside old vent fan. (picture)

Clear excess DICOR so that you have a flat mounting surface for your new fan. Once that's done, prepare your new fan by running a strip of butyl tape along the perimeter of the base, ensuring you cover the screw holes. Pull the protective plastic from the butyl tape, then place your new fan on the space recently vacated by your old one. Go inside and check fitment before tightening anything. A good place to start is to connect the new fan power wires to the WAGO connectors, and testing operation of the fan and the power hatch. If all good, return to the roof.

RVLovent provides their own hardware with the fan, but I chose to reuse the Keystone square drive screws since they were previously in the roof. Unfortunately, the new fan holes don't line up with the original ones! More holes - that's great. The RVLovent uses 16 screws. I began by sinking screws at each corner, and working my way inward to ensure a flat mounting. Ensure all screws are snug.

Get your DICOR tubes out, and start dispensing it liberally to cover up all of those holes in your roof. I used two entire tubes.

Now return to the interior of your TT and measure the trim panel. Does it fit as is? Is it too tall? Mine was - it needed to be trimmed a bit less than an inch all around to achieve a flush fit. Here's where the cutting tool is needed - measure twice and cut once though! The instruction manual says to use a reciprocating saw, but I ended up using tin snips. Cut the excess off, and the trim panel snapped right in flush. Again, I used the OEM square bit screws that were previously installed even though there are new ones provided. Sink all four into your ceiling, and you are done!

The new fan is FAR more powerful and quiet than the original. It's better than the HENGS I installed in my old Jayco, which was solid but noisy. The remote is a bonus for the Mrs. who is too short to reach the ceiling mounted controls... I haven't tested the rain sensing function yet but in the limited usage of the fan so far I am very pleased with the upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240223_132952.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	46293   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240224_122554.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	46294   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240224_153633.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	46295   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240224_164130.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	46296  
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent