Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
steveh326

Cougar 33res question

Hello all, my first post.

Not a Keystone owner yet, but a couple models are on my short list for wife and my next camper. Cougar 33res and Laredo 314re to be exact.

Specific question on the cougar 33res... when I look at rvtrader.com for this model, I see 2 outside configurations, one has the propane tank cover integrated into the front cap and the other doesn't. I believe one is the xlite version but not sure which one. Are there any other differences other than the propane cover that I need to be aware of between the 2 versions? I would prefer the integrated cover, but aluminum studs and vacuum bonded sidewalls are must haves for me.

Thanks !
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
TAZ23

Every cougar travel trailer we have looked at are listed as X-TRA lite. Last fall when we were looking for our new trailer we noticed the same thing. the propane tanks were exposed on some and hidden on others of the same model. the dealer said it was a mid year change to go back to the outside tanks. Keystone has been known to do that. The outside skin is now a clay color instead of white.(another mid year change) They also do not offer the high country package any more. If your dealer has one with hidden propane tanks, it is most likely one that was manufactured before the change over. If what our dealer said is true, and you want one with hidden tanks you better buy it before its to late.
Basic construction was the same on both versions.
Good luck and welcome to the forum
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
steveh326

Thanks very much for the info !
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

From everything I know TAZ23 is right. We have a 2014 Cougar High Country. It has the enclosed cowl for the tanks and we really like that. But, as was said, if it was a mid year change you might want to be looking sooner rather than later. We really like the Cougar line.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

2014 was the last year Keystone produced Cougar travel trailers. The Cougar line is currently available only in fifth wheel models. The transition from Cougar to Cougar "half ton" and Cougar "XLite" has occurred over the past several years. In 2014 Keystone announced that the "full weight" Cougar travel trailer production would stop. The only 2015 models are the "lite" models, either "half ton" (west coast production) or "XLite" (east coast production). The 2014 models (early production) was manufactured with the molded front cap which incorporated the propane tanks. The late production 2014 and all 2015 models have separate propane tank covers that are not a part of the front cap.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:57 AM   #6
TAZ23

[QUOTE=JRTJH; The 2014 models (early production) was manufactured with the molded front cap which incorporated the propane tanks. The late production 2014 and all 2015 models have separate propane tank covers that are not a part of the front cap.[/QUOTE]

The change over for the propane tank covers happened in the summer of 2014 (for the 2015 model year) A quick look on the internet for Cougar x-tra lite shows quite a few dealers that still have some 2015"s with the internal propane tanks. The ones I have seen all have the white front caps.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Packed2Go

FWIW, we purchased a new Cougar High Country 321RES last spring and have been very pleased with it so far. We weren't able to use it as often as we had hoped but we have stayed in it with temps as low as 25F and as high as 85F and have been very comfortable. I believe the HC 321RES model has slightly thicker walls...not sure how much that comes into play vs the 33RES but the only thing that would make us happier campers at this point would be getting out more!
Packed2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
billb800si

A few features I like about the 33RES over the 321RES is:
Exterior storage access under the bed.
Room on both sides of the bed (wife hates making the bed in the 321RES)
More drawers in the kitchen area ( total of 7 I think)
40" TV with swivel mount
Leather furniture.
Fireplace/heater.
Exterior battery access (it's a pain to access the battery on the 321RES)
We originally liked the full rear window on the 321RES but 95% of the time all we are looking at is the rear of the trailer behind us!!!
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
billb800si

Also just received this info from Keystone on the new 2015 Cougar Xlite trailers::::::

Bill,
Thank you for your email and questions. Up until September of 2014 the Cougar X-Lites did have a ladder and Mor/Ryde CRE 300 suspension standard on there units. This last fall they wanted to bring the weight down on there X-Lite trailers and in order to do this they went away from the walkable roof (even though they still have the aluminum trusses 16" on center). Since they do not have a walkable roof anymore (same as all the ultra light weight trailers out in the market today) they did away with the rear ladder and it is not even backed anymore so a dealer cannot even put one on. They also did away with the Mor/Ryde CRE 300 suspension on there Cougar X-Lite trailers only. Fifth wheels will still have it. Sorry to give you all this bad news but what I would recommend is seeing if there may be a 33RES Cougar out there still that was built before the fall and it would still give you everything that you were looking for.
I hope that I was able to answer your questions for you and please let me know if i can be of any further assistance to you during your research process or help answer any other questions you may have as well. Thanks again for your interest in our Keystone Cougar X-Lite product.
Jason Clark
Keystone RV Company
Shoppers Konnection Division
Phone: (574) 535-1437
Email: [email protected]

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
Gwalk

New owner 33RES

Hello everyone, Gwalk from west Michigan here.

Just purchased a 2015 Xlite 33RES last week.
This forum will provide me with a wealth of much needed in info as my Keystone Dealer really left much to be desired.
Dealer prep was non-existent. much of the documentation for various systems is missing.
The place was "staffed" by kids.
I found the documentation for the hitch online and spent yesterday properly setting up the load equalizing hitch.

I certainly hope this is a quality unit because I feel that after spending $36 K I'm on my own.
Gwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwalk View Post
Hello everyone, Gwalk from west Michigan here.
Just purchased a 2015 Xlite 33RES last week.
I certainly hope this is a quality unit because I feel that after spending $36 K I'm on my own.
======================

$36K seems high for that unit. Usually take 30% off the MSRP price from Keystone. Anyway enjoy as that is a real nice unit.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES