Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
bexparza

Covering New Laredo

We just purchased a new Laredo. We live in Arizona, I want to cover it for protection from sun. I have read Keystone does not recommend covering because of roof damage. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
bexparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Trailsport07

Cover it, just get a good fitting cover. I have been covering my trailers since 2007. I live in Upstate NY, so we get it all , sun all the way to snow.
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
mikebrls

I was reading to put some type of foam in the corner's where the gutter drain pipe come's off the side so it doesn't tear cover
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I think you may find that you will have to put some type of protection (foam/padding...) at more places than just the downspouts. Everywhere there is some kind of protrusion or corner where the cover touches the RV will be subject to abrasion and tear.

Check places like the corners of your rear bumper, awning catches, roof top antenna, roof top holding tank vents (black tank...), edges of stabilizing jacks, steps, and other places that may not be "sharp" but form some kind of edge. You may be surprised how these kinds of projections can, especially if the cover is moving due to wind, wear holes in it over the course of the winter months.

Old tennis balls also work well over the gutter downspouts.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Trailsport07

Yes cover the corner gutters, any sharp edges around the slides ,corners. Its easy go to the dollar store get a bunch of pool noodle and cut to fit. They work great. That's what I use on all sharp corners.
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Quad

X2 on pool noodles. They work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
14george

I cover mine every winter never had any problems cover made for camper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
spicercars

The key is to buy a good quality cover that fits.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

For those that use the covers I would ask your advice.

I live in W TX. We have blowing sand (lots) in spring and most anytime else with winds from 30 mph to 60/70. Our summers are hot (consecutive weeks over 100, up to 106 or so). Winters are fairly mild.

How do you keep an RV cover from marring the finish with the constant buffeting from the wind? Especially when the RV gets covered with fine sand (you can't stop it) and then the gelcoat is literally buffed with fine grit by the cover. I tried one on my restored 83 Jeep CJ. After spring my brand new paint job (3 coats of clearcoat) looked like someone had taken a sander with 400 grit and buffed all the contact areas. Had to have it re clearcoated.

My other concern is protection from things like hail...which we do get; sometimes softball size. I understand they don't offer protection from something like that, but, my boat covers protected both of my boats from serious damage during a golf ball size hail storm. That storm destroyed my roof, knocked out my skylights and bent all the vents on the roof to oblivion. My boats were unharmed - even the big glass areas. Will a RV cover offer any protection at all.

I have to make a decision soon because spring is almost here. A storage unit costs 130 a month with payment for a year in advance. A new storage building on my property will cost around 25k. I like the price of a cover but don't know if it would help or hurt. Any thoughts?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #10
jsmith948

We live in the Central Valley of California. Also very hot, dusty and sometimes windy. We purchased an ADCO Designer Series cover in an effort to keep the trailer clean and protect it from our brutal sun. The cover lasted about 18 months before it was so sun-rotted that it was unusable. I can't say it abraded anything on the roof or sides, but, we did notice one small spot (about the size of a half-dollar) on the west facing rear wall that looks like it blistered. Having read so many posts regarding damage/delamination caused (at least suspected) by covers, we quit using a cover and give the 5er a good coat of 303 about 3 times a year. Hope to have a metal RV port before the end of the year.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Hansel

I'm learning the hard way, I should have purchased a metal RV shelter. I'm looking at roof damage from water, I really thought I had been doing a good job of keeping up with the caulking. But know that I'm probably looking at over 1K for repairs, a metal RV shelter would have been money well spent years ago.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote