Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
summerhummer

I miss cable TV at the park !

I live in the state of Georgia and I wish more parks (state,COE, you name it) had cable. I know many will not agree with this but it is just my opinion.

I really want to go camping tomorrow but all the parks I want to go to lack cable. I know camping is to get away but in the night I like to watch a little TV after the last log has been burned. fuzzy ABC, CBS, & NBC just don't cut it. Whats the use of a 40 inch TV with 3 blurry channels? I am a channel surfer... when I camp . I Don't have much time to watch it at home....

Secondly I have 2 kids under 7 and cable works well for them in the morning when mom and dad wanna sleep in till 9:30AM. Yes the TV is the baby sitter. I know it sounds crazy but I get up at 5:30 M-f so on Sat I like to catch up on Zzzzs.... Cable allows the kids to get up and entertain themselves for a while and lets me sleep. Anyway this is just my rant I guess i need to invest in a hopper or similar portable sat system so I can bring my own cable to the park... Carry on
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Satellite TV is the way to go. And a self aiming dish is even better.

Since I have had DirecTV For the last 15 years, I just grab a receiver from the bedroom and voilà..mama has her HGTV and I get to watch Discovery in between.

Different options with dish or direct. Just have to figure out what you want and are willing to pay for.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
GaryWT

I enjoy having cable when at various parks. I enjoy the news and a game now and again. For those campgrounds that don't have cable and all we can get is PBS, we bring DVDs to watch.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
bmach

Nice to be watching a ball with friends and a nice fire.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
cabinfever

I love sitting by the fire and watching a race, History, Discovery, etc.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerhummer View Post
I live in the state of Georgia and I wish more parks (state,COE, you name it) had cable. I know many will not agree with this but it is just my opinion.

I really want to go camping tomorrow but all the parks I want to go to lack cable. I know camping is to get away but in the night I like to watch a little TV after the last log has been burned. fuzzy ABC, CBS, & NBC just don't cut it. Whats the use of a 40 inch TV with 3 blurry channels? I am a channel surfer... when I camp . I Don't have much time to watch it at home....

Secondly I have 2 kids under 7 and cable works well for them in the morning when mom and dad wanna sleep in till 9:30AM. Yes the TV is the baby sitter. I know it sounds crazy but I get up at 5:30 M-f so on Sat I like to catch up on Zzzzs.... Cable allows the kids to get up and entertain themselves for a while and lets me sleep. Anyway this is just my rant I guess i need to invest in a hopper or similar portable sat system so I can bring my own cable to the park... Carry on
With the government spending and the tax income where they are, I wouldn't look for any government funded campground to invest in cable or make any other significant improvements in the foreseeable future. As for private campgrounds, that's another story, probably more based on competition than on amenities provided.

You might want to consider a satellite system or as suggested, record those programs you'd find interesting and simply watch them either on a HD or DVD?

From what most people are looking for in a campground, cable doesn't seem to be the "I won't stay without it" deciding factor for most of us, rather it's a "Eh, OK, maybe I'll hook it up" kind of perk.

If your kids are anything like ours, they'd just as soon watch a couple of DVD cartoon movies as have cable for their "Saturday morning pleasures", so you should be able to sleep late if you teach them how to turn on the DVD player along with the TV. A word of caution (from a dad with 35-45 year old children): Not keeping an eye on them on Saturday morning can result in flour and milk all over the kitchen when they get the idea to fix you breakfast in bed. <YIKES>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
poncho62

We have satellite, but would really miss our cellular internet hub.......Sometimes, ya just gotta rough it
Old 01-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
christopherglenn

I have hooked up cable twice at an rv park. Most times I don't bother raising the antenna. I have a Ruku 3, and a 500gig usb disk plugged into it. I transcode DVD's onto mp4 files with DVDFAB, load them onto the disk, and put it in the trailer. The big advantage is no finger smudges and scratches on the disks, plus the kids can see what is there, and with a few clicks of the remote pick it and watch it. Some of their favorite shows are off the air (I can't wait until they outgrow "dragontales") so we still have reruns. depending on length the 500gigs fits 200-400 movies.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
theeyres

Either go to private RV parks that have cable or satellite or break down and invest in your own satellite system. There are few states that are going to invest the big bucks in installing their own TV systems. Personally, I love my TV but I don't expect it in state or gov't parks.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
denverpilot

I'm wondering how you have fuzzy anything since the DTV cutover on broadcast? About all that left on analog is Home Shopping Network and Telemundo on old grandfathered low power analog transmitters due to still be decommissioned.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
wahoonc

Satellite works, we have had pretty decent luck with our OTA antenna in all but a very few parks. Portable hard drive with movies and recorded shows is a plus. I don't watch much television, even at home. But wifey does... and if mamma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy! I have several portable hard drives that work great for streaming movies. One of my favorite is the wifi drive from SanDisk.. At home I have 4TB of mirrored storage, keep another portable 1TB drive handy with most of my wife's favorite movies on it.

We have Direct TV at home, just haven't bothered to haul the portable dish along on any trips... yet.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
summerhummer

Hello,
Thanks for all the replies. I made due this weekend with DVD and a few channels. I should clarify they were not fuzzy but the channels were not optimal with Over the air based on being used to seeing cable TV Quality everyday if that even applies -

I think I will eventually break down and get Portable sat service. since I now have Comcast at home I would have to set up another account with a Sat provider and do a seasonal or pay as you go contract.
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #13
{tpc}

We actually pull in at least one or two channels OTA where ever we go. I think they are digital channels, and I am unsure that our crank up antenna works to pull those in, but it always seems to get something.

Usually most of the channels are some crappy old movie station with stuff no one watches, or some discovery type channel (not discovery but similar programming) that has one or two shows on a loop. Still though there is always one local news channel at least, and sometimes 2 or 3 of them. Good enough to find a baseball or hockey game on occasion.

We plan on doing the sat thing eventually, but it comes down to cost.