Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
campboy

Surge protectors

Have been looking at surge protectors, some of our club members use the Smartsurge which is the best price for a 30 amp but but lacks many features (naturaly). The new Highways magazine has a article about same and I noticed that none of the portable units are UL listed, which is odd these days. Would sure like some input on this matter.
thanks dave
campboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Bob Landry

Power surges are only one of the power issues that can result in some expensive repairs. I personally think that if you don't want to spend the $$$ for a device that's going to protect your electronics against most of what can happen at a power pedestal, just put the money in your repairs account and go camping.

Don't forget, magazine articles and reviews are often little more than paid advertising.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
mhs4771

They're an insurance policy. The one I use has a time delay, so if you get a quick loss of power which comes right back the delay will allow the AC compressor to stabilize before restarting. Cost of surge guard approx 350, cost of new AC 700 to 800. For me cheap insurance, just like extended warranties.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
campboy

surge protectors

I think my point was missed. I am not cheap. It was an example of what I have seen and was concerned about the lack of the UL listing on an electrical device.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
jq1031

Try www.rvupgradestore.com, they have a 30 AMP surge protector for $78 and $99 for 50 AMP. It's basic equiptment but does the job.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
WaitingToRetire

Quote:
Originally Posted by campboy View Post
Have been looking at surge protectors, some of our club members use the Smartsurge which is the best price for a 30 amp but but lacks many features (naturaly). The new Highways magazine has a article about same and I noticed that none of the portable units are UL listed, which is odd these days. Would sure like some input on this matter.
thanks dave
Well, that doesn't sound right. Maybe the mag just forgot to list the UL on the portables? Can you go somewhere and look at the actual unit? Or cruise over to the Progressive website and take a gander there. 919-462-8280 is their phone number. Call and ask them if it is, and if not, why?

Nevertheless, these seem like a pretty popular model; given that more than a few are in use, we haven't really heard of a rash of RVs burning up because of faulty units. They seem like a quality device and I know several who are satisfied with others in their product line. If I got a satisfactory answer when I called them and talked to them, UL certification in this instance wouldn't stop me from using this product.

My thoughts.
Chad
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
campboy

Surge Protectors

Chad, thanks for the thoughtful response.
Makes sense.
dave
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by campboy View Post
thanks dave
Dave, another thought regarding a portable SP. They are easy targets for someone to steal. The expensive ones are always chained to something as they will disappear if not protected. The portable ones are almost impossible to secure so the less you spend the better off you'll be if it walks. I cought someone in the act a few years ago as my neighbors dog started barking just before the lights went out & I looked out & saw the thief (who ran). The less you spend the better! Just my opinion!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote