Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
Indy 6

2015 hideout 27 dbs

Hi, we are looking to buy a 27 DBS this spring and I am looking for the pros and cons of this trailer. I have a 2001 1/2 ton Chevy. I think this trailer will be pushing the limit of the truck. I only plan on towing with In a 100 mile radius of home.

Thanks for any information.

Indy
Indy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
If you know the GVWR of the trailer and the hitch weight, it can be easy to figure out how close or over weight your going to be. If your over it wont matter if your only towing within a 1 mile radius... over is over and an accident can happen anywhere. There are too many threads to link to about towing over weight so I wont list them. It's your decision, we don't report people, but rather try to help make the decision based on facts.

Hopefully someone with that model will chime in with the good/bad. Whatever you decide, once you start RV'ing, you'll be hooked!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
cabinfever

I have a 99 short bed half ton with the 4.8L auto transmission, not sure what rear end the truck has. The truck is rated to tow 7500LBS. I have towed the max, and maybe a bit over, with it many times. None of those were on a highway and in a 16 ft trailer. The truck did just fine and felt very stabile. Depending on the ratings of your half ton you may be ok. The only thing that is going to make a world of difference is the length of the TT. No matter what you do, what TT you buy, or what you end up towing with...do not skimp on the hitch. Get at least a Reese Duel cam, or similar. I highly recommend a Hensley or Propride. Do you need a Hensley or Propride? No, but the stability in towing they provide is worth every penny new, you can find used ones. Except for weight I am pulling, I at times forget our 303 is behind us with our 2500HD. You will get tons of advice here and do your own research. Good Luck and like Chuckster said.... you WILL be hooked

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
BobbyB

I have a 2014 27DBS and absolutely love it. Pros - outdoor kitchen, double bed size bunks, sliding doors for front bedroom, swivel tv, outdoor speakers. Cons - exterior storage space limited to the front of the trailer ... Can't really think of any other cons. We've truly enjoyed the trailer this year. This is our first, so I can't compare to other models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BobbyB

2014 Keystone Hideout 27DBS
2010 Toyota Tundra
BobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
clewis

echo the exact same comments as BoobyB. I pull my trailler with a 2013 F150 FX4 ecoboost. Had no issues and handles with ease.
clewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Family Hideout

In September we purchased a new 27DBS and love it as well. I agree with BobbyB. Only downside is lack of exterior storage. The only other downside is that the interior/exterior speakers were lacking power, so I replaced them with new Infinity 200Watt speakers. Now you can hear a DVD playing while the AC/Heat is running.

We are towing ours with a 2013 Dodge Durango (Hemi V8). We are also at the max tow capacity when loaded of 7500 lbs. When we took it home and went on our first trip it was very bouncy and I was a bit nervous, but after buying the Firestone Ride-Rite Air bag kit it made a world of difference. It now feels more stable and does not bounce near as much. I can also level out the rear end of the Durango when fully loaded. Before the bags were install it was sitting too low. You can sort of see it in the picture I have posted.

On a side note: I feel I should have a larger tow vehicle, but since we just purchased it last year I do not intend to upgrade anytime soon. I do not drive over 60 MPH and stay in the right lane. I also give my self plenty of distance between the vehicles in front of me. There is no reason anyway to drive like a maniac when towing a camper.

We will be making a few long trips next year. Maybe even through the Smokey Mountains. I will be curious to see how the Durango/Hideout do through the mountains in Tennessee. We will test it in the hilly areas of Wisconsin in the early part of the year to see how it does.
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD
Family Hideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
jabres

I also purchased a 2014 Hideout 27DBS back in March. Have stayed in the trailer around 30 nights this season and put several miles on the trailer. OVERALL, great trailer! I think this is an absolutely awesome trailer for the price I paid. Obviously not a top of the line trailer, but for what it is you cant beat it!!
Have had no major issues with the trailer, just minor things dealer has repaired.
I will note with this model trailer, my weights were actually heavier than what I expected them to be. Weights were verified on a Indiana state Highway scale.
Total Trailer weight=7,000# to #7,200 depends on how much we have on a given weekend.
Tongue Weight= 1,100#!!! This is with two jumbo propane tanks pretty full, and a battery. This is with merely nothing in front storage compartment. Much heavier tongue that what I expected
jabres is offline   Reply With Quote