Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
trackstand

Has Anyone here changed Their speakers?

Looking to replace the indoor and outdoor speakers in Our 2920.the stock ones really suck. has anyone done them? Is there room to open up the holes for the inside to fit 6X9s? I have a new set of infinitys I need to get rid of. was it a pita to change the outsides as the are siliconed? Thanks

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
CampDestinations.com

Good question and I'm interested to hear what people have to say. Our outdoor speakers were fine the first year, but after a winter they are terrible.

Wes
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
therink

I changed out the outside speakers on my last 2010 Keystone fiver with a decent pair of marine grade speakers and the sound quality was a little better, but not much. I came to the conclusion that the radio / head unit itself is junk, as is the thin gauge speaker wire used.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
BlindGuyNAR

Openning the holes larger is really case by case. What is around them currently type of deal, Any roof bracing in the way, depth available etc.

I switched mine out, but kept same size and it was a big improvement.

I'd stay away from anything heavy as it might pull down roof on bumpy trip.

I also glued in little 1/4 blocks on the back side to give mounting screws something to bite into instead of the 1/8 nothing they had before.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDestinations.com View Post
Good question and I'm interested to hear what people have to say. Our outdoor speakers were fine the first year, but after a winter they are terrible.

Wes
I replaced mine with marine JL speakers, Big difference if you use the equalizer on your stereo unit. And speaker have more watts output and fits same outside speaker hole. Pictures in community social groups community.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Htfiremedic

Has Anyone here changed Their speakers?

I have a 2010 Fuzion TE2. I replaced mine and enclosures over the back to seal them from the weather. It also improved the sound 100%.
Mine would allow for a larger speaker.
I had to remove the drawers in the kitchen to access the backs to put the covers on. I also had to remove my amp to fix a speaker. Not a hard job and the speakers were silicones in place. Just clean he surface well and all will be ok.

Sent from my iPhone
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
CarbonFun

I changed out our 6 crappy interior speakers for high powered Hertz speakers, added an 8 inch enclosed JL Audio sub woofer and a 1000 watt Hertz amp. I also changed our the head unit from some unknown cheap brand to a better Jensen unit that has a built in dvd player and sends an HDMI signal to the television. And the television audio also runs thru the head unit so all television audio runs thru the new speakers and amp.

The system sounds 1000% better than stock and was not that difficult to install. For the speakers I had to make the hole about 3/4 inch larger in diameter. Once the old speaker was removed I cleared the area above the ceiling of any thing that may be in the way. I use a felt market and traced the supplied template over the existing hole and used my dremel tool to cut out the hole. For the speaker screws, I used speed clips or some people call them body clips to mount them to the ceiling. The existing speaker wire was of sufficient gauge and quality so I could use it and not have to run new wire.

I mounted the amp to an existing wall with added bracing and ran all wiring behind the wall. I ran dedicated positive and negative large gauge wire from battery to amp with an inline fuse. See pictures for more detail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
CarbonFun

Here are some other pics

This was before all mods.
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
bigbadbob17

Looks awesome! I have thought about doing this as well and I think I have the same head unit as you but from what I read on the Jensen website the head unit does not have a dedicated pre out for the sub amp. Did you end up using a line level converter to get signal to your amp?
bigbadbob17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
GaryWT

Cool stuff here, looks good. Funny thing, we never or rarely use the stereo thus never use the speakers so I have never thought of changing them. We always have the tv on so we never think of the stereo.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

CarbonFun , I don't know about your trailer but in mine the supply plumbing to the shower runs up behind the panel that you mounted the amp to. Just a warning to folks that might be considering a similar install, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote