Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #1
Jerrycuda

Roof Coating

Our " new to us" 2011 Cougar 5th wheel has an EPDM roof at the end of it's warranty. Until now it has been stored indoors but it will be exposed to the Florida summer. Covered storage is not available in the park. Looking for advice on the specific Rubber Roof Coating that we should use.
What works best?
Jerrycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
cougar23

I would suggest you contact Keystone with your VIN number. They can tell you about your roof and what to use.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:56 AM   #3
Jerrycuda

You are probably right. We went to a local RV dealership and the guy behind the counter definitely didn't know anything about roof coating products!
Jerrycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:17 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
I would suggest you contact Keystone with your VIN number. They can tell you about your roof and what to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycuda View Post
You are probably right. We went to a local RV dealership and the guy behind the counter definitely didn't know anything about roof coating products!
Keystone will simply refer you to your local dealer. If you know your roof is EDPM, you might try simply cleaning it and using UV protection. When I sold my last fiver that I owned 13 1/2 years, the roof was still in good shape never stored inside. Granted it wasn’t in the Florida sun, but I wouldn’t bother with a “coating” until it really needed it.

I’ve used Hengs, and Henry products at previous employers and either one is fine with proper preparation. Dicor also makes a good roof coating.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 03:24 PM   #5
rhagfo

We applied Heng’s to the roof of our 2005 Copper Canyon in August of 2021, and is still in good shape. The white outer layer of our EDPM roof was starting to break down. It was becoming chalky and coming off in granules. Heng’s recommends scrubbing with a medium stiff brush a powered detergent, I used Tide, scrubbed well rinsed well and applied two thin coats.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:21 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I had an EPDM roof material on my 2002 Cougar and the roof had large sections where the white outer coat had disappeared. Fortunately, I tore the roof and my insurance company installed an RV-Armor roof (lifetime warranty fully transferable). I don't have any more roof maintenance as the Dicor is all sealed. I only paid the deductible and the roof is a joy to own.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:20 PM   #7
Goliath-goes

Some will disagree with what I used but after having 4 back surgeries climbing up on the roof of our 5er 2-3times a year to caulk I went with 100%silicone used cleaner then hand brush around all protrusions and finally put 3 coats on in different directions. 5 gal can $300 but worth it to me. To only climb up once a year just to check that all is still ok. Best of luch

Tags
roof