Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2024, 07:38 AM   #1
JeffJohnston

NY loop

Hi all

My GF and I are planning on taking a long week to do a loop in NY. We are thinking the finger lakes region, Niagara falls, and the Thousand Islands area. Probably 10 days or so (take off Friday from NJ and come home the following Sunday). My initial thought is Watkins Glen area, then up to Niagara, then to the top of the finger lakes, then Thousand Islands but that's just a beginning thought.

We are open to sugestions on routes, places to stay (we like state parks where possible), breweries/wineries to stop at, attractions to see, etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2024, 10:34 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I don't know if it is possible for you or not, but if you are going to do Niagara falls, I have found that the Canadian side is much better as far as being close to things to see and do. Just a personal preference, but we have not tried any state parks close to Niagara Falls on the NY side.

As for the rest of NY, Watkins Glen state park Six Nations camping area is nice. I think the scenic hiking trails were closed last year and may still be closed until late spring this year. In the Thousand Island area, Wellesley Island State Park is nice and you are close to nightlife in Alexandria Bay and tours to Boldt Castle if that is your thing. Traveling East from there, we liked Robert Moses State Park right on an island in the St. Lawrence Seaway at the Eisenhower Locks (access is by tunnel). Be careful though, there is also a Robert Moses state park on Long Island so make sure you look at the right one! From there maybe the Adirondacks; Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, etc., and then looping back towards home via Old Forge, Herkimer, etc.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:09 AM   #3
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I don't know if it is possible for you or not, but if you are going to do Niagara falls, I have found that the Canadian side is much better as far as being close to things to see and do. Just a personal preference, but we have not tried any state parks close to Niagara Falls on the NY side.

As for the rest of NY, Watkins Glen state park Six Nations camping area is nice. I think the scenic hiking trails were closed last year and may still be closed until late spring this year. In the Thousand Island area, Wellesley Island State Park is nice and you are close to nightlife in Alexandria Bay and tours to Boldt Castle if that is your thing. Traveling East from there, we liked Robert Moses State Park right on an island in the St. Lawrence Seaway at the Eisenhower Locks (access is by tunnel). Be careful though, there is also a Robert Moses state park on Long Island so make sure you look at the right one! From there maybe the Adirondacks; Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, etc., and then looping back towards home via Old Forge, Herkimer, etc.
I hadn't thought about camping on the Canadian side. We both have our passports so that's not an issue. I think we're going to leave lake Placid, Lake George, etc for another trip. She's never seen Niagara so that's definately on our list and I want to go to Boldt Castle (I was there 35 years ago and want to get back). With only 10-12 days (we're not retired yet so need to work around vacation days LOL) we can't do the entire state.

Thanks for the input!!!!!
Old 01-29-2024, 12:09 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can do the “maid of the mist” at Niagara Falls, it’s awesome!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:46 PM   #5
jxnbbl

During the last few years we have gone to the following but I couldn't imagine doing a 10 day loop and including many places.

1. Lake Placid - loved it we stayed at the KOA which was great but it *was* located at 77 Fox Farm Road Wilmington, NY 12997....my understanding is that it has the same name but the different location - so check reviews.

2. Niagara falls - Due to covid restrictions could not go to Canada so stayed at - Niagara Falls / Grand Island KOA Holiday. Very good stay and we ended up going to the falls 3 different times during our stay at different times of the day. From talking with others, they have recommended that to go back/forth over the border when you only are there for a day or two to actually stay on the US side and then walk over and visit the Canadian side.

The other recommendation is Harvest Host as long as your self contained you stay a night for "free" (they ask that you partake in whatever they do). We use these quite a bit when we are going from point A to point B and the driving is more than 5-6 hours. The only place we have stayed in NY that was Freight Yard Brewery in Clay, NY - This is near Lake Oneida. It was a stop over that can handle our trailer close to RT 90...great beer and food trucks....and trivia on the night we stayed.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:12 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJohnston View Post
Hi all

My GF and I are planning on taking a long week to do a loop in NY. We are thinking the finger lakes region, Niagara falls, and the Thousand Islands area. Probably 10 days or so (take off Friday from NJ and come home the following Sunday). My initial thought is Watkins Glen area, then up to Niagara, then to the top of the finger lakes, then Thousand Islands but that's just a beginning thought.

We are open to sugestions on routes, places to stay (we like state parks where possible), breweries/wineries to stop at, attractions to see, etc.

Thanks!

Stayed at Watkins Glen state park in 2020…one of nicest camp spots we’ve been to…had 30 amp electric only though…had to fill water tank at hose bib on camp loop,sewer tote for gray and black…big site with lots of trees …very scenic

could hike right down to the rock formations…drove around the lake region for day trips…. there is quite a few wineries/ breweries..even a couple of horseback riding stables
We went in late october so did not get out on the lakes but that is also on the list of available activities
Old 01-30-2024, 05:41 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Stayed at Watkins Glen state park in 2020…one of nicest camp spots we’ve been to…had 30 amp electric only though…had to fill water tank at hose bib on camp loop,sewer tote for gray and black…big site with lots of trees …very scenic

could hike right down to the rock formations…drove around the lake region for day trips…. there is quite a few wineries/ breweries..even a couple of horseback riding stables
We went in late october so did not get out on the lakes but that is also on the list of available activities

Is this near Montour Falls, New York....my wife wants us to stop there for a few days due to some waterfall that is on a Hallmark channel show.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:09 AM   #8
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Is this near Montour Falls, New York....my wife wants us to stop there for a few days due to some waterfall that is on a Hallmark channel show.
Yup - there's a few falls in and around Watkins Glen and Montour is one of them
Old 01-30-2024, 12:31 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
it looks like it’s a couple miles away…i can’t remember if i saw that one or not
Old 01-30-2024, 03:34 PM   #10
jxnbbl

Thanks, maybe take in Watkins Glen when there is some event and see the area that week.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:43 AM   #11
spade117

Keeping the Adirondacks/Lake George for another time is probably the correct thing to do as that could be another 10–12 day trip.

Most of the state parks on the lower ends of the Finger Lakes are pretty nice, especially if you like scenic views and hiking. Instead of starting at Watkins Glen and heading west, start one lake back east (Cayuga) and stay at Robert Treman and visit buttermilk Falls and Taughannock Falls. Then head west and stay at Watkins Glen. From there you could either head up Seneca Lake and try out Sampson or over to the next lake (Keuka).

If you think you have enough time, I would definitely recommend Letchworth on the way to Niagara Falls. Once in Niagara Falls area, 4 Mile Creek is ok spot on the American side that keeps you close to visit other areas.

Then there are numerous state parks along Lake Ontario on the way to the 1000 Islands from there (Golden Hill, Lakeside, Hamlin, Fairhaven, Selkirk, and more).

There are also a lot of state parks along the St. Lawrence (Burnham, Cedar Point, Grass Point, Wellesley, Keewaydin, Kring Point, Jaques Cartier, Coles Creek, Robert Moses). A lot of these are great for ship watching, cliff jumping, views, etc. Keewaydin is the closest to the A-Bay area, but they do not have electric sites if that is something you require.

Since you mentioned state parks, that is what I listed. There are also private campgrounds in all of these areas as well. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. I have been to most of the places listed.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:16 AM   #12
flyingjack

Spade, I sent you a PM.
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:14 AM   #13
Daviations

Quote:
Hi all

Thanks!
Try Letchworth State Park. West side of NY in the Finger Lakes - Incredible!!! The Grand Canyon of the East. Then you can drive up to Niagra Falls for the day and be back at camp before dark. We were there late in September last year. Was great. Just be sure to check your camper for stink bugs. They were every where. Must have been their season to be out. I still find one once in awhile in our travel trailer. Took the fridge out to clean up that area and there and behold, abnother stink bug, worked on my gas heater and another one, took our clothes out of the camper when back and another, it finally is ending I hope and I hope they don't survive in Florida now.
Daviations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:43 PM   #14
JeffJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviations View Post
Try Letchworth State Park. West side of NY in the Finger Lakes - Incredible!!! The Grand Canyon of the East. Then you can drive up to Niagra Falls for the day and be back at camp before dark. We were there late in September last year. Was great. Just be sure to check your camper for stink bugs. They were every where. Must have been their season to be out. I still find one once in awhile in our travel trailer. Took the fridge out to clean up that area and there and behold, abnother stink bug, worked on my gas heater and another one, took our clothes out of the camper when back and another, it finally is ending I hope and I hope they don't survive in Florida now.
I just looked at their web site. WOW! I LOVE waterfalls so this will definately be on our list. THANKS!
Old 02-16-2024, 04:03 AM   #15
Daviations

Quote:
I just looked at their web site. WOW! I LOVE waterfalls so this will definately be on our list. THANKS!
Forgot to mention the Harvest Host we stayed at on the way from Saratoga to Letchworth. The Apple Station Winery, 5279 Cross Road, Cayuga, NY 13034.
It was really nice and we had a fun time. Way off the small main road near the lake and worth the night's stay - well except for all the wine my wife bought. The family that runs the apple orchard is so nice. It was pretty busy being apple picking season plus a wedding party going on in their venue. My wife tried many wines and purchased a box full. The apples were good and the beers for me. For some reason she was having a hard time going to walk back to the camper so the owner tossed his keys to me for his Ranger ATV to give her a ride back with her case. They had us park in the orchard next to a pond for the night, it was great.
Daviations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:20 AM   #16
Kearah

we camp in WNY and fingerlakes region.
for state campgrounds you needed to book in nov-dec for this summer. You might get some sites for during the week, but it will be difficult to schedule a loop. It is substantially more expensive to book private campgrounds but there's usually sites , even last minute.
Use reserve America to book. has a very useful app that will show you some of the private campgrounds as well, jellystones, KOAs are also in the area. Watkins, Letchworth, Fort Niagara, Hamlin, Fair Haven, Sampson, Taughaunnock are all state campgrounds that we like. If you go that far, we absolutely loved Brennan beach, thousand islands and adk campgrounds will be nearly impossible to book this time of year if you go that route.
Kearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:18 PM   #17
linux3

As you know Niagara Falls is 2 falls. Goat island sits above them and separates the 2 falls.
Goat Island State park has very large parking lot and RV slots.
On Goat island is the 3 sisters islands that extend one by one out into the river above the Canadian falls. At one time you had to jump from rock to rock. Now they ADA'd and put in bridges and pavement and fences. Still worth seeing but not the same.
Also on Goat island is an elevator that takes you to the base of the falls, then there are wooden paths taking you under the falls. Wear a rain suit.
Every year a small group of us camp at Spruce Row campground in Ithica NY. From there you can hike Taughannock Falls, Ithica falls and my favorite, Buttermilk falls.
Tons of stuff to see and do in Ithica.
We have stayed at the KOA in Watkins Glenn and it's quite nice.
If you are there get down to Hammondsport and the Glenn Curtis museum. He, among other things invented the 5th wheel.
IMHO, if you do the finger lakes and Niagara Falls that will use you all the time you have. Niagara Falls to Watertown is around 6.5 hours. You are killing a day.
Save Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Alex Bay and such for another trip.
Did you know that Adirondack Park in NY is almost exactly twice the size of Denali National Park?
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote