Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
albertr

Surge Protector

We have a surge protector on our 5th wheel that was installed by previous owner. Sometimes it makes a loud 'chattering" noise. Anybody familiar with Surge Protectors. Why this noise? Thanks.....Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
Jim W

I use a surge protector but it is a portable model, not one that is permanently wired into the camper. I do hear an audible click when the contacts closed after the surge protector is done checking the circuit. What might be happening is the surge protector maybe opening and closing the contacts, because of power issue with the either the power source or wiring.
I have attached a link on how they work, please check this out. http://reviewsurgeprotector.com/rv-s...rotectors.html
Hope this helps?
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
albertr

Surge Protector

After I posted my Surge Protector comments yesterday I made a discovery that may have been causing the problem. I went on line and found the manufacturers site. The installation guide states that the protector should be mounted in any position except on the floor. Can be mounted upside down, vertically and so on. Guess what....mine was attached to the floor. Has not made noise since I mounted it vertically.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Chas883

surge protector

Is the surge protector something everyone needs ? The dealer didn't mention any thing about it. What kind should aperson get. Any help Thanks Charlie
Chas883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Charlie:
If you think of surge protectors being a kind of insurance then you might want to consider having one. Essentially, they protect your RV and its electrical contents (Microwaves, etc) against electrical surges that can occur when hooked up to campground electricity or generators. Depending upon the type you buy, they will offer protection against surges, over and under voltage, polarity, ground and open neutral issues.
Some campgrounds have electrical boxes that are updated and well-maintained reducing the risk of electrical surges and other problems. Others have posts that are old and in need of upgrading and servicing giving cause for concern.
Some protectors are portable while others are hard-wired. The latter type are often more expensive. You can buy them from about $100 and up (some are "way up").
If your RV has a lot of appliances and they are used frequently and you move from campground to campground a lot, then it might be a worthwhile item to consider
If you go online and do a Google search for "RV Surge Protectors", you will find numerous types, prices and places that sell them.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
Bob Landry

While its better than nothing at all, you need to go a step further than just a surge protector, since that's all you are protected against. True, correctly wired and mantained pedestals are unlikely to cause you a problem, you have no way of telling what you are plugging into. There is also the real possibility of open wires, reverse polarity, low voltage, high voltage, etc., in addition to voltage spikes on an otherwise functioning pedestal. Low voltage is a real problem for devices with inductive loads, such as AC compressors and you don't know until it burns up that you had a problem. The cost of an EMS that monitors all of these things and shuts power off to the trailer is cheap insurance relative to replacing all of the electrical/electronic devices in your trailer. While you're thinking about protection, you might also want to consider a Watts water pressure regulator. There's already enough that can go wrong with a trailer without courting disaster.
A RV tech that posts on another forum once said there are two types of people who buyEMS systems. Those who buy before and those who buy after their electronics fry. I think my EMS was around $250 from Lawrence RV and I installed it myself. It's going to get moved to the new Outback as soon as I pick it up.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote