Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Mattress Rebuild

We took our RV mattress (about 1 1/2 yrs old) into a local shop that rebuilds mattress in addition to doing custom mattress orders and supplying foam.
As most of us have experienced, the stock RV mattress that comes with a new RV is, at best, cheap and low quality. Getting a decent night's sleep on the supplied mattress is rare.
We discussed going to foam but in the end decided to have our current mattress rebuilt. The edges were reinforced, heavier layers of felt were placed over the springs and we had them sew in a 2 inch memory foam which we were already using as a topper. They also sewed in a new and better cover.
While we havent slept on it yet, a short "test" in their shop clearly showed that it was firmer, more comfortable and didnt sag nearly so much as before.
The cost .......$168 ...... which I think is pretty reasonable for what seems to be a "new" mattress.
I think it would beat the price of a new foam and would certainly be less than a new mattress.
Something to think about as an option and one that is reasonably priced.
I'll post another after we have slept on it for a while.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Mattress rebuild

I have never heard of such a thing. Where do you go to get a mattress rebuilt?

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

John:
The retail place I am referring to is a shop that deals in various types of foam and foam mattresses but also sells regular spring ones as well. They were the ones who suggested doing a rebuild. Keep in mind that this is not a total rebuild - I guess "reinforcement" might be a better term to describe what is actually done. (See what they do in my previous post).
I would try the various places that sell foam, foam mattresses and mattresses if you are considering doing something similar.
Just as a brief follow-up on the rebuild they did for us -------- a significant improvement over the "mattress" that came with the unit.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
hankaye

Festus2, Howdy;

Here in Utah it is just now the beginning of the 20th century. Mattresses are still stuffed with horsehair or goosedown. That said both have their good qualities (warm), and have yet to figure out a way to prevent lumping and once compressed take their times re-lofting .... the horse never does.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote