Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Exsailor

Bad tires on my 5er

I have a 2008 Montana, 35 ft, with maybe 6k miles on it and on my recent trip I lost all 4 tires. The trip is a little over 1100 miles and it was about 90 degrees and I had the left side go one the way and the rights on the way back. The tires were "mission" brand and the only one that I could still make out the date on was "0907". From what I've read these Chinese tires are trouble which is disappointing because they came on the RV. Did I miss a memo? How long should tires last? Any feedback, opinions etc greatly appreciated
Before you ask, I am meticulous about air pressure.
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Flyguy

What speed do you tow at?
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

The tires that came from the factory on my '07 Cougar were replaced by my dealer under a recall before I took it off the lot. They were replaced with Goodyear Marathons. (Chinese also) I ran those for 2 years (5000 mi.) and started to see cracking and bubbling on the side-walls. I upgraded to 16" rims and load range E Michelin X-Rib tires to get away from Chinese ST tires. With 5000 mi. on them they still look new and I hope to not have problems for the recommended 6 year life expectancy. Time will tell, but I travel much more relaxed now that I don't worry about blowouts. I also maintain max. psi in trailer tires at all times and keep speed below 65mph. JM2¢, Hank ...... Be sure to replace valve stems with proper psi rating and have the new tires balanced.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Exsailor

I tow at about 70 or so. If thats part of it then I dont get it, because on the way to Nascar races I have a lot of guys bigger than me passing me. I actually went and Googled "Mission" tires and found several forums on there complaining about the tires. You can believe I will examine these new ones very closely from now on.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
I tow at about 70 or so. If thats part of it then I dont get it, because on the way to Nascar races I have a lot of guys bigger than me passing me. I actually went and Googled "Mission" tires and found several forums on there complaining about the tires. You can believe I will examine these new ones very closely from now on.
If you read the side-wall of every ST tire you will find a MAXIMUM speed rating of 65 mph. There must be a reason for that rating and those were set before they were made in Asia.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
albertr

If you go to an article ......Trailer Tire Facts Discount Tire there are some interesting 'facts' on trailer tires.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The URL for the trailer tire information at Discount Tire is:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos

There is a great deal of GOOD information there. I learned some things that I hadn't considered before. Thanks for the lead on where to look.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
dbunn

I had the samee issue on the 2009 Keystone Everest I had that came with Carlisles. In one trip from Texas to Florida I blew 3 tires and one I swapped because it was seperated. The tires were only half used up. I went with recommendations from felllow RVers and things I have read by going with a comprable sized LT tire (BFGs). So far so good. My $.02!
dbunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Exsailor

Good stuff, I'm glad I got on this sight already

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Hunter757

Bad tires on my 5er

Glad I found this form. I have the 16 inch Misson tires on mine and have been towing at 70 MPH had no clue about the issues with these tires. It says the max pressure should be 80psi cold wow that's alot. I will looking at them more closely now and keeping my speed at 65 or under. We will be replacing them first part of next year.

What are people replacing them with? Any ideas would help Thank you in advance!!

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
mhs4771

Many of us on the Montana Owners Forum (http://www.montanaowners.com) have switched to Goodyear G614RST tires. They are a Load Range G tire. Pricey but a heavy duty Trailer Tire. Others are using Michelin or BFG LT tires.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Dawg

Smile 5er tires

I changed the Mission's to Goodyear and replaced the wheels from steel to aluminum. I've pulled long hot trips, 106 degrees through Kansas (6500 miles). The best investment for tire safety I found to be a tire temp/pressure monitoring system. Found that Keystone didn't do a good job with one axle and one tire ran 30-40 degrees hotter than the rest. Allowed me to be aware of a grease issue. Following trip I hand packed all outer bearings. I run 70 MPH in 100 plus degrees and found that the sun direction plays a bigger part in the temperature variation between tires. The sun can have a 20-30 degree effect. I would not pull anything without this monitoring system. Best safety system you can buy.
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
CWtheMan

The Mission brand name is no longer in production. I have no idea what it changed to or if it did change names.

Keystone fivers have always had marginal tires. By that I mean tires operating very close to their maximum capacity. All tires degrade and trailer tires operating at near maximum capacity will come to their life expectancy much faster than the automotive industry tires. Three to five years is all you can expect from them and that will depend on how well they are maintained and kept within their operating parameters.

Warranties for the ST tire can be as low as two years from time of purchase. The day you sign on the dotted line the vehicle manufacturer will no longer take any responsibility for your tires unless they have made a size mistake during installation.

You cannot fool around with the RV trailer tire pressures. They MUST have the correct cold tire pressure (s) every time you start hauling it around. Speeding beyond the 65 MPH speed limit is a NO! NO! Overloads will destroy them in a hurry.

The wise ST tire user will increase load capacity when replacing the OE tires. When changing designs from the ST to the LT an increase in size is normally necessary to maintain the load capacity of the OE tires. Check with the vehicle manufacturer for their recommendations.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
gr8330

"I dont get it, because on the way to Nascar races I have a lot of guys bigger than me passing me." That doesn't mean that it's ok to out drive your tire rating. If you look at your tires you will see the speed rating stamped on the tire. Those people passing you might have changed their tires as I have to a LT tire and if not there time is coming.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
Txoutback

Here is more good tire info:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ionAnxiety.jsp

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Exsailor

Well,

I'm convinced, my tires were 4 years old and I do tow over 65, so I guess it was a perfect storm. I wish I had done my research BEFORE I had to learn the hard way. The Bristol NASCAR race was great but the trip across I40 was a lesson learned.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel