Keystone RV Forums

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > General Forums > Towing

Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Default 5th Wheel towing with a gooseneck adaptor

I'm sure there is a lot of debate about this subject. But I'm interested in those with actual experience.

I'm buying a B&W turnover ball setup for my truck. I need the flexibility to pull a stock trailer, equipment trailer and still pull the 5th wheel on the weekends. How do the 5th wheel to gooseneck adaptors work? Is there any drawback to using them over a traditional 5th wheel hitch. The price difference alone is worth trying it if it won't damage the trailer.

I've heard pros and cons from different manufacturers. And nothing but good things from one guy that I know who is using one.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 PM

The goose neck adapter allows a lot more twisting leverage to be applied to the trailer. Most manufacters will not warranty a trailer used with this setup.

I have seen one case personally that caused severe stress cracking to the 5th wheel and required a lot of welding and reinforcing to repair after the front of the coach was removed to get at the actual framing.

If I was going to do this I would at the very least have something similiar to moryde system on the adapter(not even sure if this is available)

JMO
1999 K1200LT
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Been there done that and paid the big $$. I have the b&W ball system which is great but the MFG. of the trailer frame is void if you utilize the king pin adapter system due to the leverage and frame cracking which can result. No forums back then to advise me away from that then. So....I abandoned the adapter and since i was already committed to the B & W system, I then purchased the B & W 5th wheel adapter which clamps onto a post which replaces the bed ball. Total cost over $1,100. it all works fine except for excessive cost and moving the heavy adapter with 5 bolts to be tightened to 40lbs and 80lbs each time. This is tuff on the back and storing the adapter unit (being so large and heavy) is an additional issue. I have an almost new king pin adapter available. Consider carefully and good luck.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM

If I already had the b&w turnover ball hitch I would buy the b&w companion 5th wheel adapter.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 PM

i have the b&w companion 5th wheel adapter and it works great it is a little heavy but all 5th wheel hitches are. when you install it there is o bolt torqued tp 40 ft lbs and 4 torqued to 80
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrawler View Post
I'm sure there is a lot of debate about this subject. But I'm interested in those with actual experience.

I'm buying a B&W turnover ball setup for my truck. I need the flexibility to pull a stock trailer, equipment trailer and still pull the 5th wheel on the weekends. How do the 5th wheel to gooseneck adaptors work? Is there any drawback to using them over a traditional 5th wheel hitch. The price difference alone is worth trying it if it won't damage the trailer.

I've heard pros and cons from different manufacturers. And nothing but good things from one guy that I know who is using one.

Jason
From personal experience, DO NOT DO IT.......I had one on my 30' Copper Canyon and after a year, I almost lost my trailer from the frame completely cracking apart around the kingpin......Luckily my insurance covered it, or the bill would have been around $8k
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM

I have done quite a bit of research on this lately. The adaptor is pulling at the same point as the jaws of the 5th wheel would. The only difference is the adaptor that tightens to the king pin plate. Because of the gooseneck attachment design, there should be minimal binding that would cause extreme leverage to be put on the king pin box.
The only way that I see that would cause structure failure in the 5th wheel frame is if the adaptor is allowed to work loose on the kingpin. If it isn't tight up against the pin box, then the load is taken off of the king pin itself and is transferred to the plate. Between the leverage working against it and the constant shock loading of acceleration and braking, yes, at that point it could cause a failure.

A coworker runs one on his Dodge. Because of clearance issues with his flatbed, he modified it by extended it back 8" with a piece of 1" plate. This is the second trailer he's used it on and hasn't had any issues with either of them.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM

I understand what you're saying.....but think of it this way. Try and loosen a bolt with a short wrench vs a 3' breaker bar. You're pulling on the same thing but you have much more leverage.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Like was already said look into a companion hitch it sits into your king pin and when removed no rails in the bed. I did not know about these when i bought my truck that had a king pin already and now wish I had a companion hitch
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM

I will certainly agree it is really nice not to have bed rails left in your truck bed when you are not pulling around. I pull a gooseneck trailer about as much as my 5th wheel so the b&w hitch makes it easy to change. The weight of the 5th wheel adaptor is not a big deal when you get your wife to move it.