Keystone RV Forums

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Default Factory Tour

Doing the factory tour this Thursday, but have a few questions about the tour:
1. Are all the keystone trailers made in Goshen Indiana? I'm interested in the Bullet Premier and want to make sure I'm going to the right place.

2. What is the address, is it the mailing address from there web site: 2642 Hackberry Drive - Goshen, IN

3. Any tid bits of informatin I know before I go, or ask while I'm there, or thinks I should look for during the tour?

Thanks all,
Patrick
Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Patrick -
Most, but not all Keystone RV's are made in the Indiana plant. Some are made in Pendleton, Oregon.

I would be interested in hearing what they have to say about "quality control". How many, and at what stages in the production, are quality control checks carried out?

Last edited by Festus2; 01-22-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Patrick,

Here's the tour info from the keystone website:

Tour times and availability may vary. Please contact Keystone Owner Relations at 866-425-4369 or ownerrelations@keystonerv.com within five business days of the date you are considering to confirm the tour time and availability.

When you call, they can give you the directions on where the tour starts and what to expect.

They also will be able to tell you what brand name of RV they will be building the day of your tour and the plant you will be touring.

2013 F250 FX4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Previous RV's
1971 VW Campmobile
1972 Dodge Camper 7500/Harvest Cabover Camper
1968 Airstream 26' TT
1972 Jayco Jayraven 20' TT
1966 Apache Tent Camper
1978 Dodge SuperCab/Real Lite Cabover Camper
1993 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel/34' Alumalite TT
1999 Ford SD F250 7.3L TF Diesel
1994 33' Seabreeze Motorhome
2005 Ford Ranger FX4/Sunlite Skyhawk Popup Camper
2010 Ford F150 FX4/Springdale 242FWRLSS
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 AM

I did the Factory Tour yesterday and it was most awesome. Any hesitation I had was quickly disolved when I was able to see each station and the quality work and materials these guys put into it. Now it's time to buy....
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Patrick -
Most, but not all Keystone RV's are made in the Indiana plant. Some are made in Pendleton, Oregon.

I would be interested in hearing what they have to say about "quality control". How many, and at what stages in the production, are quality control checks carried out?
Festus,
You asked about quality control. While on the tour I noticed red tape on a unit, yep the inspectors looked at it. I looked at the tape marks and most things my untrained eye could not even see what was wrong. But they have quality control inspectors all along the way, and the workers get written up for what the inspectors find.

It was interesting to see the line, and a unit at every station. By just walking down the line you could see a unit get completely built because there was a unit in every station. It started with an frame (not even an axle on it) and ended as a completed unit. It takes about 4 days to a single unit all the way through.

I was on the Bullet and Bullet Premier line, and I discovered something new that I did not know. I guess I assumed that the floors were made of maybe a marine grade plywood....NOPE.... they were made from a bonded and insulated floor that was made pretty much the same way the sides are made. this adds insulation, and gives the floor a much more solid feeling. I was delightfully surprised. Keystone surpassed my expectations, that's for sure.

-Pat
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 AM

I also took the factory tour last year and was impressed by it and also noticed red tape on the trailers for things that needed to be repaired. It was very interesting to see production from the frame to finished product. It was good to go on the tour, after work for the day was finished, so that I could get up close to the trailer and not be in the way.

The is a Keystone dealer close to you, Barton Lake RV in Fremont IN., that I would recommend. It's probably less than 20 minutes from you. My wife and I felt like we received a fair deal there.

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM

Funny, I'm already working with Barton Lake RV, And have a unit on order.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2011 Dodge Durango
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 AM

If quality control is so well maintained why do so many units come from the factory with subpar workmanship? Why do they come missing parts, loose screws, loose electrical and a host of other problems. I dont think the Manufactures have any idea what QC is or means. Anyone here will have a hard time convincing me otherwise. Maybe the inspectors are required to leave corrective lenses at home. Most RV's are built with money in mind not QC.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Chartrand
Pat -
I am glad that you came away from your Keystone factory tour impressed with what you saw on the assembly line; and, in particular, the quality control that you witnessed at various production stages.

As you know, there are numerous members here who have experienced problems with holding tank drain pulls that have been incorrectly labelled. This issue, while not major, is not isolated and seems to be a fairly common occurence. It is the same problem taking place over and over again. How is this being missed so often?

Poor connections - and in some cases no connection -in ceiling and floor ductwork for both the A/C and furnace also seem to be a continuing cause of concern in many units as reported here by a number of members.

And just recently, we have heard about a roof recall on certain Bullet TT's whose front cap transistion molding has been improperly installed - "inadequate fasteners" being the culprit.

I am left to wonder what happened to the quality control that you saw first-hand during your tour?

It may be that Keystone has, as a result of customer complaints, improved their quality control in these examples I have pointed out as well as other issues that members have had.

Let's hope that Keystone is listening and paying attention to what some of their customers are saying about "quality control".

I am glad that your experience was a pleasant one and you came away with a positive impression.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM

So far, so good for me and my 2013 Cougar 28RBS. I have not encountered the first issue as of yet. I realize that I've only had my unit for a very short time and only a limited amount of excursions, but one of the trips was over 2200 miles and all seems to be well. Perhaps my unit was built during the middle of the week, after the hangover subsided and before the hurry to leave for the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by davidjsimons; 01-26-2013 at 10:37 AM.